Vietnam 2008 - Day 1, Part 2: Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast
October 23rd 2008
Published: October 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We did a lot of site seeing this day. There was the Temple of Literature, which ensured education for most of the young boys for hundreds of years. Though women are well respected, this is a patriarchal society. Must be all that snake wine...

We visited a temple with what looked like the Tower of Pisa of Buddhas - only it wasn't leaning. We took a cyclo ride through Old Hanoi and visited a beautiful bridge in the evening. I can't remember what we did for dinner that night. I think we found a place close to the hotel and enjoyed soup, egg rolls and beer for around $6.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Ho Chi Minh StatueHo Chi Minh Statue
Ho Chi Minh Statue

I cropped this shot to avoid the tourists getting their photos taken in front. It's only funny when we do it.
Communist PosterCommunist Poster
Communist Poster

I love, love the post-modern look of political posters and art.
PicassoPicasso
Picasso

Interesting sculpture. Picasso certainly had his own style.
More modern artMore modern art
More modern art

Can't remember what this represented - probably what ever you wanted it to. Funkadelic.
TempleTemple
Temple

First gate to the Temple of Literature. Or maybe the Temple of Doom. One of those.
Temple 2Temple 2
Temple 2

If you find the magic stone and the sun filters through a crack at just the right moment ... the walls will open for 13 seconds -- just enough time to slip through to reach the second temple gate to Lit Campus.
Stone StealeStone Steale
Stone Steale

stone stelae engraved with the names of doctor laureates rest upon large stone tortoises - a symbol of long life.
The Inner SanctumThe Inner Sanctum
The Inner Sanctum

Courtyard and sacred temple of the Lit Campus.
BonsaiBonsai
Bonsai

Isn't that cool? I can barely sustain a philodenderon. The bonsais are gorgeous.
At the AltarAt the Altar
At the Altar

Confucious - founding influence of the Lit Campus.
CourtyardCourtyard
Courtyard

Talk about OCD. The plantings are perfectly aligned to the 20th parallel, 10 degrees from true North. Just kidding.
Little VillageLittle Village
Little Village

We saw several of these diorama-type displays. Little model villages, people, and mythical creatures would be set among bonsai trees and rock formations.
The Crane! The Crane!The Crane! The Crane!
The Crane! The Crane!

Cranes are often found flanking holy altars. They symbolize harmony. Everything is Yin and Yang.
AltarAltar
Altar

The altars are beautiful. Similar to Thai temple altars, but with different idols. As the Vietnamese say, "Same Same, but Different." I love that.
Paul at lunchPaul at lunch
Paul at lunch

There was something in the Diet Coke. Simply the most refreshing, delightful Diet Coke I ever had.,
Best LunchBest Lunch
Best Lunch

After a busy morning absorbing 1000 years of Vietnam history, the delicious, delightful salad with pomelo and shrimp was sublime.
Uh, we're riding THIS?Uh, we're riding THIS?
Uh, we're riding THIS?

No - just a relic from motorbike tour history. We will be riding Honda 125s.
Tower of BuddhasTower of Buddhas
Tower of Buddhas

Stacks and stacks of Buddhas.
Cabbage?Cabbage?
Cabbage?

OK - I'm guilty. Can't remember what the symbol means. Probably peace, happiness, long life, harmony ... or maybe cabbage.
Buddha close-upBuddha close-up
Buddha close-up

Buddha in a box. I think Justin Timberlake has a song about that.
Fat tourists in cyclosFat tourists in cyclos
Fat tourists in cyclos

You can just feel the eyes rolling as you are pedaled through the streets of Old Hanoi in these tourist contraptions. But - it's a fun ride, the drivers are well paid. Everybody happy.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb