Vietnam 2008 - Day 1: Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast
October 22nd 2008
Published: October 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

First page of Breaking DawnFirst page of Breaking DawnFirst page of Breaking Dawn

I am SUCH a geek. I was actually excited for the 13 hours of uninterrupted reading time ahead of me on the flight to Tokyo so I could get into the last book of the Twilight series. Sucked it dry before we landed in Hanoi :-)
We left Chicago about 1 p.m., flew for 13 hours to Tokyo, had a couple-three hours layover, then flew to Hanoi, arriving about 10 p.m. on Weds., Oct. 9. We couldn't find our tour guide, so I borrowed a cell phone from one of the travel information guys at the airport. Turns out our guide was at the airport - just in a different area. We met Mr. Ha and he had our driver take us to the hotel. It's a pretty posh set-up to have your very own guide and driver. People kept asking me why we were going to Vietnam. Besides the obvious - beautiful country, fascinating culture and history and the worlds best noodle soup - it's a very inexpensive place to vacation once you get there.

The next day, Ha took us to visit the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum and museum. Everybody loves Uncle Ho. Hearing about the wonderful virtues of communism is a little weird - but other than a lot of official government news and military guards sprinkled around, it's not all that different from other places.

It was hot and muggy, which felt OK. Remember this was our first day...


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Welcome to JapanWelcome to Japan
Welcome to Japan

Made it to Narita airport. Nice, clean, plenty of amenities - so Japanese.
Plastic foodPlastic food
Plastic food

It's so nice to see what a particular dish looks like - in all of its shiney plastic perfection.
Saporo!Saporo!
Saporo!

Uh, we had to avoid the water, right?
Magic fingersMagic fingers
Magic fingers

Testing out the massaging Laz-y-boy in the airport terminal. Have I mentioned how much I dig Japan?
Ho Chi Minh MausoleumHo Chi Minh Mausoleum
Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum

Huge square used for national holiday parades.
Ho's mausoleumHo's mausoleum
Ho's mausoleum

A closer view.
Vietnam flagVietnam flag
Vietnam flag

Ha explained that the flag is red representing all the blood shed for unification and the single star represents the solidarity and achievement of the Vietnam people.
Explanations...Explanations...
Explanations...

Ha tells Paul more about the historical significance of the Ho Chi Minh site. His English was WAY better than our Vietnamese, but it was still tricky to pick up on everything he said. We probably got about half of it.
last picture of the mausoleumlast picture of the mausoleum
last picture of the mausoleum

I don't think I've ever written that word so many times.
BambooBamboo
Bamboo

Self explanatory. Bamboo is strong and brings lots of good luck.
Some political palaceSome political palace
Some political palace

Can't remember the name of this thing but Uncle Ho did not use it. He worked from a more simplified structure. The "Joe Sixpack" philosophy of governance.
Cute coupleCute couple
Cute couple

In front of a pretty lake.
One pillar pagodaOne pillar pagoda
One pillar pagoda

Two pillar pagoda, three pillar pagoda, ha-ha-ha laughed the Count. OK - the jet lag is eating my brain. Sorry. This was really cool and very old.
pagodapagoda
pagoda

The curled and ornamented corners are similar to the temples in Thailand. Vietnam is also a Buddhist country, though their form of Buddhism is a blend of Thai, Indian and Chinese.
Inside the templeInside the temple
Inside the temple

The pagoda's remind me of those fancy sugar Easter eggs. It looks pretty on the outside, but the inside is even more ornate.
MuseumMuseum
Museum

This is one of the most interesting museums I've ever seen. Part modern-art, part history displays.


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb