Vietnam 2008 - Day 1, Part 3: Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast
October 23rd 2008
Published: October 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=noM7VX0E9xg]Still MORE from that first day in Hanoi. We saw so many things!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

on the streeton the street
on the street

So many things going on - motorbikes, scooters, bikes, pedestrians, trucks, cars and cyclos. It's amazing everything just "flows". Paul described it as organic. I think that's a great analogy.
ShopShop
Shop

Shops take up every square inch of Hanoi. They're tucked in between alleys, on carts in the street or even one the sidewalk as people pedal their merchandise by hand.
Yellow scootYellow scoot
Yellow scoot

Every make and model of scooter can be found in Hanoi. I've always been fond of the yellow ones.
ParkingParking
Parking

storefront parking is the norm. Makes it a little tricky to walk along the sidewalk.
Gorgeous flowersGorgeous flowers
Gorgeous flowers

I loved the flowers - available in abundance and abundantly inexpensive. I wish we could get flowers like these in the US so I could enjoy them every day instead of just holidays.
SparksSparks
Sparks

Similar to other Southeastern countries, the cities seem to be powered by a complicated system of wiring, duct tape and good luck.
Watch out!Watch out!
Watch out!

Another narrow miss.
Nancy ClinicNancy Clinic
Nancy Clinic

Not sure what all this involved, but hey - it may have been a wonder cure for whatever ails you.
Hair of the DogHair of the Dog
Hair of the Dog

Couldn't resist getting a refreshment here.
I'm with NASAI'm with NASA
I'm with NASA

Walking the streets of Hanoi. The bag was a free chotchka from an AARP convention in Washington. If anyone asked, I said I was an astronaut. C'mon - it's not like anyone is going to remember me or look me up!
In the MarketIn the Market
In the Market

My favorite part - hitting the markets. You can find anything from 14K gold earrings to herrings to ball bearings.
These would be the herringsThese would be the herrings
These would be the herrings

Or some other kind of tasty fish.
TurtlesTurtles
Turtles

Tasty turtles - symbol of long life, but not necessarily for these particular turtles.
Red BridgeRed Bridge
Red Bridge

Beautiful red bridge with lights over the Hoan Kim Lake.
Blurry coupleBlurry couple
Blurry couple

THat's about how we felt at this point - getting a little fuzzy around the edges after a full day of site seeing. Time to crash. (hint: foreshadowing)
Does John Stewart know?Does John Stewart know?
Does John Stewart know?

that he's featured on a sign in front of a clothing shop in Hanoi? Everybody has Photoshop.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 77; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb