Hue & Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast
October 22nd 2008
Published: November 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hue CitadelHue CitadelHue Citadel

Just wet

Hue? Huh? Hue? Hey?



The first thing that struck us in Hue was the rain, and it pretty much continued until we left. The citadel was being renovated and the boat trips to the temples were writen off due to the weather so we headed off to Hoi An and were welcomed to an intimate little town with pretty houses, friendly locals and more importantly sunshine. It was so hot in fact that we went for a cheeky swim in the hotels pool which was possibly the closest experience you could get to swimming around the Arctic circle.

Alas on our day trip to the My Son temples we got well and truly drenched, and, shock of all shocks, our minibus broke down so upon getting to the tourist entrance of the temples we begrudgingly bought nice fashionable ultra-bright ponchos. The temples were interesting but hard to get too inspired in the rain but the boat trip back to the town was fairly pleasant, we even saw a couple of fishermen up close catch a couple of good-size fish, and then try to sell them to us.

Finally, beaches



That evening we went for a few drinks
Hoi AnHoi AnHoi An

Kinda Spanish
along the lively waterfront where there seemed plenty going on, including some live music and the inevitable karaoke, and after the fairly sunny afternoon we managed to get drenched again on our way back to the hotel, with not a luminous poncho in sight.

Seeing as Hoi An is famous for it's tailor-made clothing and cheap suits we thought we did extremely well to make it through three nights without succombing to temptation and ending up with a custom-made cape and a bagful of never-to-be-worn jackets. On the final day we hired some bicycles and went out to the beach and despite a relatively cloudy morning the sun came out in the afternoon and we managed to hire some bodyboards and hit the waves.

That night we had our first sleeper bus experience, lets just say they don't design sleeper bus beds for the lengthier gentleman but somehow we both managed to avoid the constant stopping and starting, use of the horn and skidding round corners and get a couple of hours kip which was a blessing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Scary fishermanScary fisherman
Scary fisherman

We kept our distance
My Son templesMy Son temples
My Son temples

Good example of awful poncho
BeachBeach
Beach

Was pretty much deserted


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb