Hoi An and Hue


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
August 23rd 2008
Published: September 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Howdy,

As I am writing this in the past tense you are well aware that we both arrived safe and sound in Hoi An after our four day motorbike jount through the mountains. We said goodbye to our drivers and ventured off into the night to explore Hoi An. Also, I have been having a problem uploading photos, I will setup another gallery for you all to skive off work and check out.

One of the most beautiful villages that we have come across. It has so many small winding streets packed with historical buildings. With a river running right through the centre it is truely picturesque. For the first time on our trip we came across a place that we would have been very happy to hang around for an extra fews days.

When we arrived we were taken to a tailor shop to take a quick look and they pulled out this years Next catalogue and said that they could make anything in there. Emma you would not have been impressed. The following night we thought that we would treat ourselves to a Western meal and went to a nice bar/restaurant. Sitting there having a beer before dinner when there were three loud bangs and then the whole street went pitch dark. The manager quickly switched to their generator but when the fire brigade and electrician pitched up both with lit cigarettes we quickly ordered the bill and vacated. Tony I reckon you could make some serious dosh as a sparks contractor out here!

We didn't do very much around Hoi An just walked around the town soaking it all up. We did hire a couple of bikes and head to the beach, however with temperatures hitting 40 celsius we didn't hang around too long. With so many art galleries and trinket shops I had to drag Nat away, for a four hour bus trip up to Hue.

We arrived early morning into Hue, greeted by a hoard of taxi and hotel touts, this time we actually listened to one as he held in his hand a picture of his hostel and it had a swimming pool, also his English was very good so we could understand what he was saying. We checked out the hostel and true enough it was as the picture described, so we dumped our bags and headed off to find the train station to book our onward ticket to Hanoi. Booking the ticket was an experience as they don't queue rather swarm the ticket booth, when I eventually got to the desk Nat was about to kick off on a little Vietnamese girl who refused to get out of the way lol.

We hired tour guides on Hondas for a spot of sight seeing around the city, only for five hours nowhere close to our four day tour, by now we are expert passengers and to be honest with the small winding streets and sheer hills motorbikes are the best means of travel in Vietnam.

After a couple of days it was time to move on so we got a couple of Cyclos and headed back to the train station for our 15 hour train journey to Hanoi.

Till next time.

Nat and Steo

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb