Exploring the Mekong Delta


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Can Tho
August 24th 2011
Published: March 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Restaurant beside riverRestaurant beside riverRestaurant beside river

Lunch on the Mekong Delta
We used the same tour company that we did Cu Chi with to do a day tour to the Mekong Delta. We stopped along the way to handicapped handicrafts warehouse and was pleased to contribute to the welfare of these workers, who had suffered from Agent Orange and other war related causes. We watched as they made beautiful handicrafts and purchased a three piece artwork with duck eggshell.

(Note to Australians, customs will seize duck egg shell products for treatment at a cost of about $160! There is a slight yellow tinge on them now - we also bought a vase with no shell and it's just as beautiful and memorable with no dramas involved. Stay away from the shell, despite what the sales staff tell you).

Our day along the Mekong was lovely but not very authentic I'd say. I guess that's tourism! And in one day I can't expect a great deal of authenticity. We did a canal trip, had lunch at a riverside restaurant, and partook in eating squirrel as prompted by a North Vietnamese person who was on the tour and sat with us at lunch. Quite chewy but tasty. We tried saying no we
Sugar cane drinkSugar cane drinkSugar cane drink

The sugar cane husks left over from making the drink
didn't want to try a few times but she kept insisting and it was feeling very rude of us. When in Rome.... (or Vietnam)....

After another short stop to try a honey drink and candy and amazing peanut brittle and hold a snake and beehive (as you do when you stop for lunch) we continued on and walked through the Delta and got a glimpse into how the villagers lived. We were supposed to be given the option to bike ride around however this was not offered and some of the passengers questioned the guide. I heard him get narky later behind their back and was quite taken aback as they were correct to bring it up. We did pay for it and it was one of the reasons we chose this trip over others. Love what challenges travel throws at you each day! You've just got to pick your battles.

That night we enjoyed Tung's XO tour and enjoyed seeing district one, two and four and China Town. We tried sugar cane drink which I couldn't get enough of over the next few days and some amazing Vietnamese food. Highly recommend this - the drivers are lovely and the experience is one hard to get elsewhere.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb