The power of expectations, or how divided opinions can be a good thing.


Advertisement
Asia » Vietnam » Central Highlands » Lam Dong » Da Lat
June 10th 2012
Published: June 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Expectation is a fickle friend. He often disappoints you, but sometimes he happily surprises you. On the long run however I am not sure I would like him as a friend. Let me explain. Expectation, more often than not, is the emotion that decides whether or not I like or dislike a country. Or to put it correctly it is because a territory doesn't live up to its expectation that it falls out of gr... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

DalatDalat
Dalat

The walkway climbs over the roofs
DalatDalat
Dalat

Bizarre architecture
DalatDalat
Dalat

Inside one of the rooms
DalatDalat
Dalat

Spiderweb in the garden
DalatDalat
Dalat

Colonial Mansion
DalatDalat
Dalat

Flowers at Dalat Market
DalatDalat
Dalat

And strawberries and blackberries



10th June 2012

Best yet....
I think this is your best blog post yet. And I've read them now since 2003, so i would think I'm an authority on these things. Wonderfully written and totally true. Someone somewhere should put this in a magazine. It's a great point about travel. I hear constantly "don't bother with bangkok." "it's too hot." "it's too dangerous and you will get ripped off" "there's good food but just spend one night and get out" Every single time I've gone to thailand (now six times in all), I try to spend at least 3 to 5 days of my trip there (few days on the front, and a few on the end). I love Bangkok more than any other city in the world and I went there with horrible expectations. Vietnam I also loved and hated. I missed buses, I got sick off the food, I had amazing meals that blew my mind, I got scammed and I got hugged. By locals. Children followed me around like puppies and I had wonderful days. Great post. Will hit up Ca Mau the next time I'm over there (which is this january) Miss and love buddy!
10th June 2012

Expectations, Opinions & Lonely Planet recommendations
As you say it is a fickle friend and one can be disappointed if you believe what you hear. Your description is exactly how I felt in Thailand. For years, I'd been told you must go-- so we went. It was fine we had a nice time but it didn't meet the hype. Lessons learned. At this point we love doing very little research and exploring when we get there and letting the country unfold before our eyes. We have found with guidebooks, Lonely planet or other wise that they are generally outdated by the time we get there and that many stay in the recommended locations. As you point out, always better to look for one that has not been recommended by anyone as they are probably trying harder to provide service. The others get a fare amount of business because they have been recommended and don't need to provide the service hoped for. Always enjoy your blogs. Happy travels.
11th June 2012

Funny...
I actually had the exact same experience with Vietnam - pretty much every traveler I've ever met over the years had nothing but poor, or at best, mediocre feedback about Vietnam. I too arrived into Hanoi on the highest guard, but found a very pleasant, pretty, and friendly country with great food. Sure there were some bad experiences - a market seller refusing to sell me any bananas other than from a rotting pile was a particularly memorable one - but compared to the 'average', if you will for SEA, I found it very pleasant.
11th June 2012

India Tourism
Such a nice and decent information shared here with good stuff... India Tourism Thanks
11th June 2012

So true...
Found ourselves nodding along with this blog...everything you say is so true. Expectations and reality are all subjective to the individual experiencing it. When we left the UK we never intended to visit either Vietnam or Malaysia as people as said they were 'as good' as other parts of Asia and how Laos was amazing. We changed our mind about Malaysia and Vietnam and went - we loved our time in both and it ended up that we really didn't like Laos at all...and we aren't afraid to say it! ;) Vietnam, everyone said we would get ripped off etc (very similar to what you had been told actually) but we experienced none of the bad things people said we would. We hope you continue to enjoy Vietnam and we have now made the decision to ignore the opinions of other people - the only way you find out if you like somewhere is to visit yourself and have no expectations whatsoever!
11th June 2012

Strange rocks
Heeey Ralf, I am still reading all your posts! Nice! Your strange rock at Miu something, is probably gypsum or salt. :D Have fun!
12th June 2012

I tend to not care too much about people's opinions of different countries, much less act upon them. If they can give me good arguments on why they love or hate a certain place, I'd listen to what they have to say and once I travel to the country in question, I may or may not look out for certain things they told me and see how it affects me. There is probably no country in the world that I wouldn't go to just because someone tries their hardest to dissuade me based on their own experience. Of course, there are places I'm much more interested in than other places. From all the countries I've visited, there's none I wouldn't want to go back to, except maybe one or two. I'm happy that I'm able to make my own decisions.

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1131s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb