Background: The conquest of Vietnam by France began in 1858 and was completed by 1884. It became part of French Indochina in 1887. Independence was declared after World War II, but the French continued to rule until 1954 when they were defeated by Communist forces under Ho Chi Minh, who took control of the North. US economic and military aid to South Vietnam grew through the 1960s in an attempt to bolster the government, but US armed forces were withdrawn following a cease-fire agreement in 1973. Two years later, North Vietnamese forces overran the South. Despite the return of peace, for over two decades the country experienced little economic growth because of conservative leadership policies. Since 2001, Vietnamese authorities have committed to economic liberalization and enacted structural reforms needed to modernize the economy and to produce more competitive, export-driven industries. The country continues to experience protests from the Montagnard ethnic minority population of the Central Highlands over loss of land to Vietnamese settlers and religious persecution.
Photos from Central Highlands
Blogs from Central Highlands
Latest Blogs from Central Highlands
- May 16th 2013 First trip to Vietnam
by Words: 123 Photos: 0
- April 17th 2013 Dalat to Nha Trang- Easy Riding
by Words: 1378 Photos: 14
- April 9th 2013 Full Metal Bicycle
by Words: 800 Photos: 1
- April 9th 2013 Da-LOT
by Words: 559 Photos: 0
- March 19th 2013 Đà Lạt city & the Valley of Love
by Words: 2960 Photos: 78
- March 1st 2013 The third trip to the Central Highlands
by Words: 2717 Photos: 62
- February 26th 2013 Da Lat to Saigon www.vietnam-easyriders.com.....see you for Sapa
by Words: 315 Photos: 16
- February 8th 2013 Da Lat
by Words: 1181 Photos: 22
- January 17th 2013 Bike tour stage 3: Good Morning Vietnam
by Words: 553 Photos: 16
- January 15th 2013 Motorbike ride from Da Lat to Da Nang 11/1-15/1 - 13
by Words: 435 Photos: 0
- January 10th 2013 Da Lat 9/1-10/1 - 13
by Words: 206 Photos: 0
- January 7th 2013 23hrs of hell, but greeted by a little bit of heaven ...
by Words: 1110 Photos: 5
- December 17th 2012 Dalat
by Words: 699 Photos: 12
- December 8th 2012 Taking it Easy in the Central Highlands...
by Words: 1459 Photos: 107
- December 4th 2012 Hue, highway to heaven.......
by Words: 123 Photos: 1
- November 28th 2012 Buon Ma Thuot to Dalat – cool breezes, pine trees and middle-class commodities
by Words: 486 Photos: 19
- November 27th 2012 One more unexpected night in Buon Ma Thuot – the rewards of travelling far, fra off the beaten track...
by Words: 549 Photos: 11
- November 26th 2012 Prau to Kham Duc - repairs and early mornings
by Words: 457 Photos: 7
- November 26th 2012 Pleiku-Buon Ma Thuot- sore butts, carpel tunnel and loose parts...
by Words: 548 Photos: 9
- November 25th 2012 Hoi An to Prau: 2 Honda Wins, 4 backpacks, and a million bungee chords
by Words: 527 Photos: 5