Ho Chi Minh to Da Lat


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Central Highlands » Lam Dong » Da Lat
November 16th 2008
Published: November 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Map of our travels


Hey anyone reading...finally we have a decent speed internet connection and a computer that takes under a hour to recognise the camera is connected to the computer.

This afternoon we have now arrived at a new place, Da Lat, which was a good 9hr ish bus trip north east of Ho Chi Minh. In saying this though the bus did have trouble going up anything that had the slightest look of a hill. This started causing troubles seeings that Da Lat is about 1500m above sea level.

Starting back from where we left off from the last blog though...Ho Chi Minh.

On our first full day (Friday) we navigated our way around the city to the most popular sights in town (War Remnants Museum, Ho Chi Minh City Museum, a shopping centre, and just about every city street where there were literally hundreds motorbikes trying to get through at any one time). Yesterday we booked in on a day trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels which is where the Vietnamese hid and fought during the Vietnam War (or if you come from Vietnam it is called the American War). We got to crawl through a small 100m length of it which was enough for both of us as it was tiny, pitch black and very hot. By the time we got out the other side I think we might of even sweated off a couple of kilos!! There was also a shooting range there where you could fire stacks of different guns (AK47's, M16's, Colts, etc) but charged a fortune as you paid about $2 AUS per bullet and seeing that many of the guns were automatic you can imagine how quickly your money would go.

Food is going ok so far. Is a lot cheaper than Thailand (and possible Cambodia) without trying too hard and we have even tried eel, snail and frog so far. Mic even asked to watch them prepare the frog from the stage it was taken out of the tank to the fry pan. Unfortunately we had no camera on us at the time but will probably try again before coming back to Aus so plenty more time for the shots.

Today (Sunday) we travelled to Da Lat. As said earlier it was a pretty long and boring bus trip in a bus which could really have done with a bit
Tiger sneaking up on AliTiger sneaking up on AliTiger sneaking up on Ali

It was a boring Museum...
more room. Luckily the time went quicker than the 9hr flight to Kuala Lumpur. Have checked into a nice place for $10 US a night with 2 double beds and a nice balcony over a busy intersection which will provide good viewing in dull times...Literally 2 minutes after finding the accommodation the power went off everywhere in our district. We found out that every night the authorities turn off an alternating districts' power during the busy times (5ish-7:30pm) to conserve electricity. Many shops closed but quite a few had generators which they turned on. We then went for a walk (in the creepily dark streets) in search of food places. An hour later we were pretty lost in increasingly smaller and darker streets with no real idea where we were headed but kinda thinking that at any stage we could easily backtrack our walked route and fingers crossed, find our hotel again. But in the end we finally connected up with a road we recognised so we just walked back the same way we came. So an hour later we finally got some food at a fairly flash Vietnamese restaurant.

We'll be renting a motorbike tomorrow to hopefully find a couple of waterfalls and temples around the outskirts of town but if it turns into something like our walk then this may be the last blog we will ever write...

Mic and Ali






Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

A quiet street in Ho Chi Minh...A quiet street in Ho Chi Minh...
A quiet street in Ho Chi Minh...

To cross, close your eyes and walk.
Inside the Cu Chi tunnelsInside the Cu Chi tunnels
Inside the Cu Chi tunnels

We had to crawl for 100m and use the camera flash as a light!


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb