Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 10th 2010
Published: February 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Flight on time, however I am sure they have put more seats on these planes since I last flew - very cramped - I didn’t sleep at all although Jude managed a few hours shut eye. Jude’s first challenge was to complete the immigration form with her occupation which of course is now ‘retired’!

Arrived in Bangkok with a temperature of 35 degrees - bliss after all the cold weather in England. Our hotel pick-up from the airport went smoothly and we checked in to a lovely hotel. (5.30 pm local time on 8th Feb). First taste of Thai food this evening as we explored the local area - god knows what some of it was but we were hungry and it tasted good - well most of it anyway. Having lost a night’s sleep the air conditioned bedroom beckoned - so an early night was had.

Tuk-Tuks, Taxis and Temples - Tuesday 9 Feb

Awoke early - surprisingly refreshed. Excellent breakfast consumed and city exploration commenced. The sky train took us to the river where we boarded a longboat and hopped on and off visiting numerous impressive sights and Temples and more Temples !! Bangkok is a marvellous experience but totally mad. The traffic is unbelievable especially around 4.00 in the afternoon. Our taxi driver back to the hotel advised us to get out near a canal station and get back to our hotel area that way as traffic was not moving - the canal ride proved to be very interesting and cheap. They say that Thai people are either eating all the time or are preparing to eat - this seems true as on virtually every street food vendors are to be found selling everything (and more) than you could imagine.

In the evening we decided to visit the Suan Lum Night Bazaar stopping off at a traditional Thai eating hall - It was all very good and excellent value for money and the bonus was that I recognised all that I ate ! no insects yet I’m afraid Dave. The Bazaar was massive and very busy - you name it and it could be bought.

Day 2 in Bangkok took us to China Town and the Khao San Road (famous for back packers’ accommodation) - very hot - sweaty and smelly (can’t believe these people eat some of things that are cooking). Enough was enough - following Tuk Tuk rides and Taxi trips and wearing down layers of shoe leather we eventually found our way back to the hotel for a relaxing few hours by the pool. Tomorrow we fly to Phuket.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



10th February 2010

Fantastic
Looks amazing. So jealous!!
10th February 2010

How exciting! It takes me back to our travels..........very jealous, it's cold and snowing here! Glad you're both enjoying the food.......we're waiting to hear about the insect kebabs dad!!! Have a relaxing time in phuket and phi phi after hectic bangkok. Love you loads JoJo, Dave and Sammy xxx
10th February 2010

Loving the first blog
Awesome to see you are safe and already having so much fun. Loving the fact your food journey has started well - no upset tummies :-) Very, very jealous as i sit hear on an industrial estate in scotland.... Blog again soon!
10th February 2010

I can't believe it
Well, well nothing has surprised me more than Peter Whitburn eating Thai food without knowing what it is. Wonders will never cease. Can't wait to see phuket!!!
14th February 2010

Insect Kebabs
Hi Jo, Dave and Sammy - I'm getting a bit concerned about this bet as I have not seen or been offered any insects as yet -deep fried or otherwise. If I sleep with my mouth open and catch a mosquito will that count? On Phi Phi at the moment which is absolutley idealic. Will blogg again soon. Hope all is well with you all. Lots of love Mum and Dad XXXX
14th February 2010

Insects
See you are having a good time. Most insects come deeply fried and very crunchy - spiders are particularly good - don't touch squashy things not deep fried. Mum is over here at the moment, just had Sunday lunch. She says you sound as if you are having a lovely time they have probably crushed the insects finely so you don't know they are there. Lots of love Rosie and mum xx
15th February 2010

Strange Eating Habits
All looks very nice guys! Pete I cannot see Thailand being your natural gourmet palate somehow! Whilst you are eating strange things Rod has a couple of files that would go down well with some Thai green sauce (aaargh, aaargh, aaargh!). Sorry RK! Actually Jude talking of RK I have received instructions from him to applying for a Judicial Review of your Immigration Card, your status has therefore been revised to "extended leave". If you think that is bad I have just received further instructions to apply for you to be deported back to the UK (something about your Visa being subject to there being no 'month end' if I recall!)

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb