Kanchanaburi or Bust


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
February 9th 2008
Published: November 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Rainbow of CabsRainbow of CabsRainbow of Cabs

Sai Tai Mai is a busy place.
I woke up this morning fully rested. Last night the air con quit so I had opened the window. The breeze coming in was perfect. I watched a man fuel his scooter and then drive off. I wanted to go down on the street and watch the city wake up. Careful to not wake Candace, I had another shower, dressed and left the room.
I walked down the street from the guest house and over a bridge that spanned a khlong (a canal). Looking down into the khlong, I saw some sort of fish (maybe a carp?) on the top while toilet paper floated by. Not the skinny dipping type of place at all.
A large bus thundered by belching black smoke and across the street, a Buddhist monk walked with his alms bowl (patra I think is the correct name) and orange robes.
I had to stop for a moment to believe that I was actually amongst what I was seeing. It is very surreal to be where one has only dreamt of being.
Not wanting Candace to wake up and think I had been kidnapped (one of her fears) or left her (possibly one of her fears), I went back to the room.
When she ready to go, we went up to the roof top restaurant and had an American breakfast (bacon and eggs) and some instant coffee. It started to spit a bit and you could see a large storm cloud passing by quickly.
Needless to say, we had a very long conversation about the night before. The conversation carried on to the street once we had our bags as we needed to make it to the bus station to head to Kanchanaburi.

As we stood on the street, revived interest in having a great vacation, Candace asked me how we're going to find the bus station. As if by magic, when I pointed out towards the street a taxi pulled up and asked us if we want to go to the bus station.

The ride to Sai Tai Mai (the south bus station) went off without a hitch. We purchased tickets and found the departure gate with ease.

The ride itself to Kanchan was neat as this was our first opportunity see Thailand during the day. Another plus was the bus we were on was not a tour bus but one that locals use.
Waking UpWaking UpWaking Up

People getting up and starting their day
And it was cheap too. 100 baht ($3.33) each and we got a bottle of water as well for the 2 hour ride.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

7 - 11 7 - 11
7 - 11

See the 7-11 hiding behind the banner!
ChicoChico
Chico

Just chillin'
Busy Side streetBusy Side street
Busy Side street

Things are getting busy
ElectricalElectrical
Electrical

Not sure how the hydro guy works on this
Getting ReadyGetting Ready
Getting Ready

Washing the cutting board before opening up the curbside stall for business
Whats NewsWhats News
Whats News

Reading his daily new
Off to marketOff to market
Off to market

Scootin' to the market!


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb