National Parks - Mixed Results!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Southern Thailand
February 17th 2017
Published: February 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 15th February



Today was to be a Hiking Day - so Paula drove us around 40 minutes South, to the Headquarters of the Sam Roi National Park, where, according to the website, was staffed with English-speaking Guides/Rangers and plentiful maps of this 93 sq kms area of grasslands, waterways, caves etc. We paid our 400baht entrance fees, received our meagre map. Nice Thai Receptionist with no English informed us - 'paths broken, you can no do!' You can see Porcupine Cave, Khao Deung (careful with pronunciation here) View Point, easy 1 hour walk, and that's it!



We set off with aforesaid map, first stoppping point was Porcupine Cave, a short hike up loose smooth rocks, but quite impressive semi-open with stalactites/mites etc. So far so good, until Leo was in the lead a started the short decent into the cave in order to take some photographs, the surface which looked quiet rough was in fact like glass,Leo disappears in a heap, Luckily no bones broken , but this purely due to his carrying the back pack with, iPad, First aid Kit and Mobile Phone. All of which absorbed the impact and are now useless! Kaput! We carry on, somewhat shaken but relieved at the damage limitation, towards the View Point. En route, we have to negotiate a herd of semi-tame Asian Cattle with a Large Bull at the head, who debated charging us but decided it was too hot and walked on by, Phew!

Arriving at the entrance to the trail, we note the Ranger Station was Manned by a Sleeping Young Thai employee, snoozing in his hammock, so rather than disturb him we walk on to the large Map and Notice Board which goes on to explain that our easy walk is in fact an arduous Rock Climbing ascent of over 2km each way. On past experience of Thai phraseology, we can only imagine it is akin to the North Face of the Eiger, so whilst we debate what to do our Soporific Thai Ranger Stirs, on spotting us he walks over and takes one look at us and Says No - not suitable for you! We pretend to be insulted, but secretly we are relieved not to have to make the decision for ourselves. Quickly turning round, we return to our car and gently meander home via fantastic limestone hills, fish and shrimp farms, lazy dogs and happy field workers. No pictures today for reasons given. Late Lunch/Early Dinner at the beach, trying a new Bar 'Smile', we return home for terrace music and early night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb