The one that got away


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Southern Thailand
February 7th 2017
Published: February 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 7th Feb
After leisurely mugs of tea on our downstairs patio (we brought 120 tetley tea bags with us, so hopefully enough to get us through the trip, otherwise we might have to ration them, God forbid), we set off, Leo driving today. As we have already done the recce, we are not expecting any problems. However, shortly after joining the main highway we are flagged down by Highway Police. Our curiosity soon satisfied, as we crawl past a film crew, huge masted cameras with the actors and actresses being feted, minions fussing around the beautiful and famous ones, with parasols keeping their delicate skins cool and safe from the sun's harmful rays. Moving on, we reach our destination, the Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, a few Kms outside the Royal Resort of Hua Hin, much favoured by the Late King Bhumibol Adulyadej, whose passing on 13th October led the Nation into a period of not less than 100 days official mourning. The lodge is in a beautiful rural location. There are two lakes, both surrounded by lush coconut trees, palms, immaculate gardens all creating an idyllic and tranquil atmosphere. Leo is given rod and bait and settles himself comfortably at the lakeside where about five other hopeful fishermen (and a fisher woman) also reside. Within 15 minutes Leo lands his first fish. Within 40 minutes he has had three very credible catches. The first a Clown Knifefish, the second a Pacu, the third and largest at over 20lbs, a Giant Mekong Catfish, which made Leo's forearms ache with the effort of reeling him in. Very satisfactory start. Most of the fishers have landed a couple apiece, before the lake goes quiet. Time for a cold refreshing drink and lunch. Having savoured our lunch of stir fried vegetables with egg fried rice, Leo cannot wait to resume fishing, and lands a 20kg carp within minutes. Paula, the fisherman's friend, duly photographs. Essential to have photographic evidence, with which to bore all your friends, when home. She then resumes reading into the afternoon. A very, very laid-back and successful day.On returning home Leo opens his Facebook page which notes that We were fishing in Pai exactly one year ago !Quiet evening at home tonight hope the Dogs also behave, so we can enjoy a good night's sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb