Sam Roi National Park


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Southern Thailand
February 7th 2017
Published: February 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Monday 6th Feb
Woke early, lots of barking dogs last night, competing with the night-song of the forest birds which disturbed our sleep. Breakfasted and out by 10.15am, the plan for today is to visit our nearest National Park, Sam Roi, which contains the Phraya Nakhon cave,housing the famous temple dedicated to King Rhama V. The trip revisited our earlier route with stunning Coastal and Mountain views, and flatlands, fen-style, freshwater lakes, fish farms and plentiful coconut trees plus pineapple groves. We arrive easily, along quiet roads. Paula is enjoying driving, so Leo enjoys the scenery. Half an hour of easy driving brings us to the Park. Bought our tickets at 200baht pp, (£4.50) plus 20baht to park (45p), Paula as usual having researched the area advises purchasing the round trip, long tail boat rather than climbing the first of the two Tors saving us exhaustion and panic on the sheer drops where railings have collapsed. A couple of French tourists who arrive with us decline the boat and set out on foot we see them several hundred metres up turning around, as they are in their 40's, guess we definitely made the right choice. So plus long tail boat at 400baht to take us to the beach around the first Tor and back we Land and walk to the start of our trail. Where we commence the 430m ascent to the Cave. The sign says 'It's an easy climb but loose stones so Children and Older people need to take care'. In reality, it is a near straight up slog that takes ,with great care 45/50 minutes to negotiate ,so Children need carrying and Older folk lots and lots of stops including many bottles of water.Upon arrival at the caverns, we realise the trek has all been worth it. Sunlight beams into the dry cave, lighting all the stalactites, stalagmites and bat caves we follow a railed walkway down to an open glade where the cavern roof has collapsed showering the glade in sunshine, in the middle is a small temple dedicated to King Rama V , Paula admires this before Leo wanders off to find himself a comfort break amongst the cavernous bottom. Then steadily we retrace our steps, back to the sunshine and virgin beach, finding our Boat nbr 10, back to the car park. Brilliant exercise and discovery morning had by both. Now in need of a post- walk beer, Leo takes the wheel and heads back to Pak nam Pran where we have a late lunch of Tom Yum Soup, boiled rice and Chicken Glass Noodle Soup, and a few well deserved Leo's before coming home to catch the last of the Sun and write this blog . Happy Days. Early to bed as Fishing Trip tomorrow with early start.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb