Exploring Samui


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Southern Thailand
February 22nd 2016
Published: February 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 21 February

Up with the Larks or whatever. Yellow and Black bird sings to us every morning. Early breakfast then off to reception to pick up our hire car to tour this Island. We are paying Bhat 400 extra for special insurance. On examining the car Paula notes the off-side spoiler is close to falling off and the car has some other body damage. The delivery guy says No Problem, you have full insurance cover! We question the damage issue several times before the guy says ' you have my word, no problems', We shall see! Setting off in a southerly direction we expect to circumnavigate the Island in about 2.5 hours, but Paula's map reading struggles to keep up with our progress. We manage to take a turnoff and view the island from its highest viewpoint, 685m above Sea Level ,Lovely, lush and strangely quiet. On next to a waterfall, which, due to the dry season, was underwhelming. Drivers changeover, Paula takes us on . We continue along the cost road until we reach Bo Phut, close to the big Buddah statue, there is a complex here called the Fishermans Village with a small one-way coastal street between gentrified shops and restaurants. we think of a night time it would be spectacular, but in day light very commercial, however, despite the beach being narrow and the sand coarse, the sea this side of the Island is a lot calmer, and very safe swimming. We mistakenly stop for a beer in a beachside restaurant and buy a beer which with Tax and service charge is our most expensive yet, BHT 380, or £8.00 - left a sour taste...... Paula continued the Island Loop and eventually we parked back at our hotel around 3pm. Lovely exploration. Did some gift shopping, had a beer then home to pack ahead of another travelling day to Krabi. Tonight we will enjoy Steaks and a bottle of wine overlooking the beautiful South China SeaChin Chin!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1099s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb