Bangkok and bust


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Southern Thailand
February 7th 2014
Published: February 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

7th feb - Friday
Reluctantly leaving Ayuthaya. Despite our intentions to travel first class rail, ha, ha, not always have such carriages. Hence, after much bartering with rail clerk, paid 250 baht (£5) for 2 very good 2nd class tickets to Bangkok. 'Very fast rapid train'. Of course it was running late, but only a mere 30 minutes, nothing to worry about. On arrival at our destination we tried to follow all the rules according to well laid guidelines :-Do not take taxi directly from train station, drivers rip you off-Insist upon air-conditioned taxi with meter-Insist driver turn meter on before you get in to car-Barter the fare or get out of cab-On no account take Very bad Tuk-Tuk- Walk away from station using hand signal like patting dog to attract meter taxi with honest driver So, after 20 minutes slogging away from station in temps of 35+ and massive humidity, humping 40kg of back packs, watching half a dozen of these honest, air-conditioned, metered flipping taxis passing us by with no interest in us whatsoever, what did we do? We took a Tuk-Tuk for 200baht (4 pounds) on a 30 minute hair-raising ride to rival ANYTHING Alton Towers could offer. Cheap thrills, oh yes! Hotel quaint and olde worldly Thai. Peace and calm within. Lots of teak wood and hospitality. First thing we were offered iced lemon tea and cool towels to wash away the hours of travel dust. Much appreciated. Complimentary robes, slippers, toiletries. Just worried we'll wander to the loo in the night and fall off the loft bedroom floor to an untimely end. We going to tie ourselves to the bed poles just in case. Bit scary though. If we survive, we're heading for big market in the morning, Forgot to add we walked around city for two house before enjoying fabulous meal at restaurant called 'the deck' overlooking famous Wat Arun on the river, pure magic. Tip of the day: when it comes to boiling in the sun or paying the extra baht, pay the money.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



8th February 2014
Good table in restaurant, red, white or rose?

Tempting
Hi guys, you seem to be having a good time, Leo I would try them all, go on you know you want to haha, quick. Have fun xxxxxx

Tot: 0.466s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb