Ayutthaya- Venice of the East


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand
February 6th 2014
Published: February 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

6th feb - Thursday
After our lovely meal last evening, we rose later than intended 0930but we are on holiday so no schedules. After a light breakfast we took to the old city, walking between the lovely lakes and interconnecting islands with their many Watts (ancient temples). We were surprised by the temperatures which were in the mid 30's C and quite humid. It seems incredible to believe that this once beautiful City was lost from most people's memories for several centuries after the Burmese sacked it in the 1760's ,overgrown by forest it was only rediscovered and excavated in the mid 20th century. Sadly the Temples show all of that neglect but the Museum is full of artefacts salvaged from the ruins and many fine examples of the Budha, Leo thought far too many! In the afternoon we booked a boat trip around the main island.To reach our embarkation point we took the Hotel Tuk-Tuk which Paula Loved the accompanying Moped Riders were so close she tried to engage them in conversation! this two hour trip took in several temples including Wat phanan choeng which housed a massive golden Budha, we really enjoyed the views of the local people who lived on or by the river , fishing, collecting water chestnuts, children swimming and generally embracing their environment. Our river boat Man had quite good English and gave us a running commentary on the sights, including a huge Lizard about 4. Feet long which we think was a Monitor, our fellow travellers were a mixed bunch, Dutch,French and German, so we acted as interpreters. For our guide , one couple had their baby with them which we thought very brave, given the difficulty of embarking and disembarking our small river craft.We leave for Bangkok in the morning but have wimped out and booked the First Class Express. Tip For the Day: Don't climb up into high bell-towers if you suffer from vertigo!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



6th February 2014
Leo without his Buddha

Like the lycra!!

Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb