Railay


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Railay
January 21st 2008
Published: January 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

After Phi Phi we decided to make a much needed quiet stop at Ko Railay. So many people had said we must go a see this island and I'm glad we took the advice as it was really pretty. The bay is surrounded by huge cliffs which are super popular amoungst rock climbers, and sort of hug the narror valley's inbetween where the resorts are. Some friends on phi phi told us to go to tong sai beach instead on the main beach which was really good advice as it was far younger then the main beach and the accomdation was much cheaper. The ferry took us to the bay and then depending on where you wanted to go you had to catch various long tail boats and walk through the water with yours bags in order to get to beach. We then had to walk up a jungle road for a bit and being the ''barbie doll backpackers'' that we are we complained the whole time, even though it was less then a km. Any way accomadation was easy to find and we ended up taking a bungalow with 3 beds for 800 bahts. The only thing was that it did not have a fully flushing toilet (had to use the bucket method) and there was no electricity during the day, but breakfast was included. On the night we arrived we went to the beach and found a cute bar with a raised deck and sat there on mats enjoying the peace and quiet, with a chang beer. We then had dinner at the resturant next door which was nice as we were on the beach but the waiter was so high he could hardly speak and the food took ages but was good when it came. Generally Railay is cheaper then the other islands which is what we needed after shopping way too much on phi phi.

The next day we decided to hire kayaks and explore the other beaches a bit. This was quite fun, cheap and easy and we had to navigate through some caves and crevases which was exciting. We then went a really popular beach around the corner and swam for a bit but the wheather wasn't so great so we went had luch at the main beach and then went home to read for the afternoon which was excatly what was needed. That night we sat at the same bar on the beach but then went for dinner at the restuarant at our resort which was super busy. The food was really great and we cheaked facebook for a while and then had a early night.

The next day we walked around a little and then had lunch on beach while waiting for the ferry. agian we had to take a long tail boat but this time ours broke down in the middle of the bay and we had to be fetched by some one else and change boats. We found the whole thing histerical as almost everytime we have traveled in thailand something goes wrong, but its all part of the experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb