New Years Eve


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Railay
December 31st 2006
Published: February 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

New Years Eve and also my last day of climbing. Had an awesome day on the cliffs and as the day went on I climbed better and climbed harder routes, by the afternoon it just felt easy. I was climbing routes that had me staring upside down on an overhang, others which half way up provided me with only the smallest of finger holes and at one stage not even holes but just vertical grooves to pinch with my right hand before moving accross to get a better hand hold with my left.



My instructor was awesome, a guy called 'A' (I'm sure that's not how it is spelt but that is how it is pronounced). He has been climbing there for years and knows every grip and every finger hold on every route which is not only extremely impressive but a great help when your trying to see where you need to go next and he is at the bottom shouting up instructions to you. He is a really nice guy too great personality, him and his fiancee Allie own the climbing business its called Thai'd Up it's only been going for about 6 months since he set up on his own, I would definitely recommend them to anyone who is going over that way and wants to give the climbing a go.



It seemed that the only busy place in Krabi on New Years Eve was conveniently right across the road from where we were staying. So we saw the in the New Year in a bar/club on the beach, the sky was filled with hundreds of lanterns, these are made of tissue paper with a wire ring at the bottom and a paraffin burner in the centre, when lit it acts like a small hot air balloon and lifts off into the sky. You see them all over Thailand on most nights but on this night the sky was flooded with them.



At midnight (well actually about 11:50) there was a sudden explosion of fireworks all around us, they were going off on the beach, from the roof top and people were holding them in there hands and shooting them off in random directions, it was great but i had to duck for cover a couple of times and was little concerned for the wooden built dry palm leaf thatched roof construction that we were partying in.



Wisely allowing for a day of recovery we left Krabi on the 2nd of January and headed for Ko Lanta.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb