Phuket Family Holiday


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
July 26th 2006
Published: August 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ten days at Le Meridian just outside of Patong Beach...
Carol and NIck (Dan's parent's); Amanda (Dan's sister) and Race (her husband) and Ollie and T.T. (two of their boys); Tom and Gus (Dan's brothers) and Bi (Gus's girlfriend), and Dan and I.

Our resort was beautiful, the weather was stunning, and we had a fabulous time. Lounging poolside, getting a tuk-tuk into Patong Beach, the main town down the road where the nightlife was full-on, shopping at the markets (bargaining, bargaining, bargaining!), and enjoying family meals out every night.

Of course, there was Dan's appendix situation on the 2nd day which altered things a bit, but he was spoiled with everyone around to entertain him.

Wish I could include all the photos, but a few here will have to do.

------------------------------------------

Thought I should shed more light on Dan's surgery. The day we arrived in Phuket Dan had been feeling a bit funny and we had just put it down to something he'd eaten. He didn't have much of an appetite and felt "off". We met up with all the family at the resort (SO GOOD) and by that evening he was feeling worse and
Hotel room at Le MeridianHotel room at Le MeridianHotel room at Le Meridian

After cheap accommodation in SE Asia, Dan and I felt like we were in paradise...soft beds and cushy pillows, hot water, and a big room!
didn't even eat dinner out - that's when you know something is wrong! The pain in his stomach got worse all night and by 6am the next morning, I was knocking on his folks door because he'd been up all night. The hotel's nurse had a look and told us it was his appendix and we needed to get to straight to the hospital. At least a half hour taxi ride away, we ended up at the Phuket International Hospital. Lots of locals, but its also here the tourists go. We didn't have to wait long and despite the communication barrier, we understood when they said he needed to have surgery immediately! Thank goodness Carol was with me, I was a wreck!

While I sorted out our travel insurance information (which I hadn't even printed out to have with me - obviously not prepared for the worst!) Dan was taken to surgery. It all went well, and he remembers coming to surrounded by a bunch of Thai people watching a cooking show on a TV next to him. Strange. He was given his own room to recover and they use massive white beach towels as blankets. Again, strange 😊
View from our balconyView from our balconyView from our balcony

Not too bad, eh?
He spent one night in the hospital but we convinced the hospital to let him go back to the hotel and promised to keep him in bed to recover. He was in a lot of pain as they did the old fashioned incision rather than the modern key-hole cut and with nothing more than Tylenol/ Paracetamol for the pain, he could barely walk to get meals. He was also super pissed off that we'd waited weeks to see him family and then now he has to stay home in bed while we all go out exploring and out to dinner every night...

It was a very trying time for us both, let's be honest, but his family was amazing and helped us both through the tough time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

The PatientThe Patient
The Patient

Dan after his surgery. Notice the blankets--just big towels. But other than that, it was really nice.
Morning cartoonsMorning cartoons
Morning cartoons

Ollie and T.T. came and crawled into bed with Dan the first morning he was back from the hospital.
Morning GloriesMorning Glories
Morning Glories

Every morning we would get up early (usually woke up by the little boys or Nick) and eat breakfast together. The buffet was wonderful!
Pool timePool time
Pool time

We spent nearly every afternoon here.
Nights out in PatongNights out in Patong
Nights out in Patong

Tom, Heidi, and Gus on Bang La Road, the main drag of bars and women in Patong Beach. Kind of sketchy but great for people watching.
The Local FareThe Local Fare
The Local Fare

Besides eating regular Thai food every night, a few of us indulged in the fried crickets and grasshoppers being sold on the street. Quite tasty, really. Race, Gus, and Bi here.
A Phuket SunsetA Phuket Sunset
A Phuket Sunset

This was taken at a beach north of Patong.
The KingThe King
The King

Ollie liked the cloth napkins at this restaurant. I think this is also the night that he saw his first "lady-boy" in Thailand...he didn't stop talking about it for days!
The Yellow JeepThe Yellow Jeep
The Yellow Jeep

We rented this jeep and drove "overland" to the little secluded Paradise Beach.


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb