Loving Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
August 2nd 2006
Published: August 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

On the go in July...

Phnom Penh, Cambodia to Bangkok, Thailand. Bus to Kanchanaburi and back. Fly to Phuket. Fly Phuket to Bangkok to Chiang Mai. Fly Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang, Laos.

We know, it's been WAY too long since our last blog. Our main excuse is that we had trouble downloading photos so we kept putting off sending one...anyhow, we are back, and you will hopefully see many photos in the next several days

So, where have we been in the past few weeks?

We left Cambodia on 12th July and flew back to Bangkok, Thailand. We spent a couple days out in Kanchanaburi, home of the "Bridge over the River Kwai" and the "Death Railway". Then back to Bangkok to fly to Phuket on the 16th to meet the Wigley clan.

The next 10 days were spent lying either poolside or on the beach, shopping in the markets of Patong Beach, or eating and drinking. Just hanging out with the fam (Dan's parents, sister and brother-in-law and two nephews, two brothers and one girlfriend). A WONDERFUL HOLIDAY!! We stayed at Le Meridian which was beautiful and had a private beach and huge swimming pools. Gorgeous weather as well.

However, there was a small turn of events on day 2...Dan went into the hospital with an appendicitis and had to have surgery. Yes, of all times and places this could have happened we were very lucky that there was a good hospital and doctors close by!! (And thank goodness for travel insurance!?!)

A huge bummer for Dan, of course, since he was in recovery mode for the rest of the stay in Phuket, but it was a blessing to have his family there for support and entertainment.

On from Phuket with Nick and Carol
Sad to say good-byes to everyone on the 26th, but Nick and Carol were still with us. We stayed one more night at a hotel right on Patong Beach, then flew up the Chiang Mai in northern Thailand. A city, but much smaller and low-key than Bangkok, we enjoyed a few days there, wondering around the town, doing an elephant ride/bamboo rafting down the river/ visiting hilltribe villages, and a lot of shopping in the night market (well, Carol and I enjoyed the shopping 😊 Dan is still recovering from the surgery so we're trying not to do too much!

We'd been debating whether we should all fly to Laos or just go back to Bangkok before Nick and Carol headed home, but on the morning of the 30th Nick disappeared and came back to announce that we were flying to Luang Prabang, Laos in a few hours! A great decision because this small city is just beautiful. For Nick and Carol, 48 hours wasn't enough time to take it all in, but we did our best, walking all around, eating local foods (even if we didn't like them very much!), strolling down the night market, getting up at 6am to watch the monks parading down the streets in their orange robes, and enjoying the laid back lifestyle of the Laos people.

We said our good-byes yesterday, and Dan and I found our new home for the next few days at the Silichit Guesthouse. Just off the Mekong River, a quaint little room, very clean, and friendly staff. Back on the "Backpacker Budget" now!

We're going to stay here for a few days to let Dan rest up a bit before we spend the next couple of weeks making our way south in Laos. He's much better but still taking it easy.

Many more blogs and photos to show you what we've been doing the past several weeks will be coming soon!








Advertisement



2nd August 2006

Made Singapore
Sounds like you guys had a good holiday-we loved it too!!Thanks for the great company.Heidi you can now go back to making your own decisions!Mild panic in Phuket- plane an hour late leaving.Love to you both N and C xxx
3rd August 2006

Arrived!
hi guys, they have arrived safe and sound -picked them up a couple of hours ago. I think Archie was happier to see them than he was me!! Well done on the shopping Heids! Mum could almost start up a shop!! Rest up those abs D, happy travels......make the most of the cheap accommodation before europe xx
3rd August 2006

very jealous
You two make me want to put on my backpack and go somewhere hot, cultural and densely populated with small people. Happy to hear the second stomach wound is healing Dan, u'll have to make up a good story... rescuing Heidi who was captured by tribesmen in the cambodian jungle... or something of that nature.
6th August 2006

Wigley holiday
Sounds like you enjoyed having the family. Glad Carol enjoyed her shopping. We are enjoying your travel blog. Hope Dan is well. Will be quiiet for a bit nowfor you both. Keep enjoying Fiz and David
8th August 2006

Looks Great!
Heidi...Looks like you are really having a great time and enjoying yourself! I am really jealous as studying for finals is not as fun! Oh well...if you happen to make your way to Europe between now and the end ofhe month, I will be in Eastern Europe for a couple of weeks on break from school. If not, I will have to catch you around the holidays! Talk to you soon...Boyer
8th August 2006

greetings, travelling buddies!
wow-whee, what adventures you've had! hope dan is healing (and taking it a bit easy?!) always fun to read your stories and see pictures-- the very most special kind of 'arm chair travel' is reading updates from special friends! heids, we miss you around here, can't wait to see your smiling face in PERSON! enjoy every minute meanwhile! xxooo laura, mike, jake and frank (most especially love from JAKE!)

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0724s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb