6th June


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
June 6th 2009
Published: June 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day off. Spent the morning in the pool then later were joined by Geoff and Chris from Timaru. They hired a bike and we all went site seeing. Showed them the Promthep Cape with lighthouse. Then we wen to Rawai Beach and had a spot of lunch and fruit shake. On to the Big Buddah, this guy is huge. He is on the highest peak on Phuket Island, the bikes did get quite hot getting there. He is not yet complete, still a lot of work to do. You can see him from almost anywhere on the island. He sits on a hollow concrete base and is made entirely of solid marble tiles, about 25mm thick. He is about 45 metres high. Amazing views.
Got back to hotel late afternoon and hit the pool again. The temperature has been around the mid 30’s again and the pool was hotter that the air.
Went out for dinner with Chris and Geoff, they kindly shouted dinner with a 1000 baht note Chris found on the beach. Then back to our hotel for a cuppa and a few tipples till 12.30am. Good night had by all.

Gaylene, I will try to get some of the soaps - email not working at the moment.

Kelly, If you want one of the bikes, they are only 55,000 baht brand new. ha ha - cheap!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Our HotelOur Hotel
Our Hotel

Our hotel is just in front of the one going up the hill
Unfinished MonkUnfinished Monk
Unfinished Monk

There are two monks on the back side of the Buddah
Me with tilesMe with tiles
Me with tiles

Marble tiles used to build Buddah


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0784s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb