Day 20: Arrival in Krabi‏


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Krabi
December 29th 2012
Published: December 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Mum - it's probably best if you skip the first paragraph....
We thought we'd done it the safest possible way - turns out we hadn't. We pre-booked a minibus to take us from Khao Sok to Krabi, through our guesthouse. After getting onto the minibus, the driver moved a gun from his passenger seat into his pocket. There were about 12 other people on the bus and with a bit of dangerous driving the minibus finally arrived in Krabi - or so we thought... Instead we were dropped at a minibus exchange centre with about 100 other tourists and told to sit down and wait for next bus. Upon asking what time - a group of men rudely replied sit and wait. Other people were getting frustrated, some saying they'd been there for over an hour and promised a bus every 5 mins. We'd seen signs earlier that said Krabi town was 5km away, so after 40 mins we decided to make an escape and walk. Upon making it to the main road, a local family helped us to get the local taxi service into town. We met another couple in the town who had the same experience as us, but they had walked the full 5km!!

Krabi is a small town, nothing particularly special about it, but enough to keep us occupied for the day. Here we began to see much more of a Muslim presence, which increases the further south you go. I finally found a restaurant that served sticky rice and mango - this, plus a beer was my dinner! Tomorrow we move onto AoNang (via the local bus!).

Baileys bit:

The morning started with a brisk run, not me running, but with the two of us chasing the bus which left without us. Our host at the guesthouse was thoroughly uninterested in the fact the bus was leaving and merely shrugged as Cat called out. This was after waiting 25 minutes for breakfast (muesli & fruit and porridge). After the situation at the bus terminal and also being touted by a car driving past while we were walking to the main road, my perception of Thai people dropped to a new low. While many have been helpful, the majority are not and will try to lie and cheat you out of money. I understand others may have had better experiences, this is mine!

Daily mileage: 3.5 with an early-ish start got out for a quick fartlek. Chased by dogs again so interrupted me briefly!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb