Krabi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Krabi
November 20th 2010
Published: November 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After an hour ferry ride and 3 hr bus ride we arrived at Ao Nang Beach in Krabi. Not somewhere we had initially intended on visiting but from hearing about its beauty from fellow travellers we exercised our rights as travellers and altered route slightly. From stepping off the bus we were welcomed by the sight of beautiful beaches with long-tail boats scattered along the waters edge, something straight off a postcard.

There is a good amount of development on the streets but local laws prohibit development on the beaches themselves so it affords Krabi the perfect balance between holiday destination and remote paradise.

On our second day there we ventured to nearby Railay Beach. It cannot be accessed by land due to the large limestone cliffs surrounding it but 15 mins in a long-tail boat will take you to this almost deserted and certainly picture perfect, white sanded beach. Lots of people were heading there to do a spot of climbing on the cliffs themselves but we opted for the beach bum approach, but I can imagine if you are a climbing enthusiastic this would be an ideal place to do it.

That evening we headed to the Loy Kratong festival on the beach. It is a festival held every year on the evening of a full moon of the twelve lunar month. It is also known as the 'festival of light'. The local people spent most of their day making Kratongs from bamboo, banana leaves and flowers. We were entertained by local dancing and music as well as a parade before hundreds of people walked down to the beach to light the candles and joss sticks in thier Kratongs, make a wish and send them floating away out into the ocean. We took a step back and half the ocean in front of us was lit up with them all and it was very pretty indeed. The sky was also lit up with floating lanterns as people around us were making wishes and sent them off hoping for them to carry their misfortunes away.

Our third day there we decided to walk to nearby Nopparrat Thara Beach and ended up walking out to a little island in the afternoon when the tide was low enough. Beautiful scenery and we must have walked about 5 miles without even noticing. Unfortunately the rain came on and we had to head for shelter. When we went to put on our rain macs, Colin got his out his bag and realised he had brought his waterproof trousers instead - classic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



25th November 2010

stay in Samui and Crabi
hi you guys i am traveling to Singalore Malaysia and thailand this January. can you recommend a decent and mid-priced place to stay at Samui and Krabi. looking for something in the 3-4000 Bhat per night kinda thing. Let me know Also your blog's been very helpful thanks a ton for sharing
30th November 2010

jealous
hope you guys are having an amazing time, keep updating us with all your stories. lots of love xx

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb