LIVING THE BEACH DREAM


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
March 2nd 2009
Published: March 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi readers

We are still alive and well and not banged up in prison as Georgina suggested in her concern for lack of contact. We are now on the beautiful island of Ko Samui. As mentioned in our last blog - the German owned chalets were quite okay in a lovely setting. One of our criticisms was the bath sheets on the bed as a top "sheet" - not that good. Becos the place was owned by a very large biker German and a lot of the guests were German Hells Angels with young Thai girls coming and going. At least the towels were on the bed and not on the sunbeds!! After a day sunbathing by the pool we went to eat at a really lovely Thai restaurant - the food was really good. Went back the following evening and had to wait an hour and a half for our food even though people were coming in after us and getting theirs. Asked where our grub was and told that most of the guests had ordered their food by phone!!!! Needless to say we were slightly pissed off and although did have a really good meal didn't go back. That same evening got back to our chalet and Lyn went into the bathroom without turning the light on (bathroom was outside chalet) reached for paper and felt something crawling up her arm - panicked and threw paper roll and screamed for Bob - Bob to the rescue and removed giant cockroach (actually enormous). Another day on the beach reading and swimming in the sea. Found a delightful restaurant on the beach and had our lunch there. The restaurant also provided free sunbeds, sun shades and towels which was nice. Went back in the evening for dinner and in the morning for breakfast. The previous day booked a trip - Elephant trekking which was great but very uncomfortable and then on to "Making a Thai Green Curry" and eating it. A small monkey show where the monkey shinned up coconut trees and retrieved coconuts - not that exciting. Then on to a beautiful waterfall where Bob took a short swim as there were giant (enormous) water skaters skimming around the surface and he did not fancy swallowing them (really he was scared!). The very big drawback of our trip was that Bob FORGOT the bloody camera even though just before leaving I checked with him - not a great start to our day. Fortunately there were two girls one French and one German who very kindly took photos of us on elephants and will hopefull email them to us. After breakfast taxi arrived to take us over the other side of the island to Bo Phut (pronounced put). Unfortunately a really bad driver - overtaking on bends, riding the brake and just plain dangerous. Anyway arrived in one piece and were shown to our accommodation. Really lovely set in tropical gardens around a small pool. Unfortunately a family with three kids all squealing and shouting - why are these bloody kids not at school! Lovely crisp sheets on the bed! Lonely Planet book did describe this area as being "quiet" - wrong! The main street is full of shops, bars and restaurants. Again have eaten good food. For the last two nights after eating I have gone back to the room alone as Bob wanted to watch live football - not that I had a problem with that. Tomorrow we have booked a ferry to another island Ko Pha-Ngan and have also booked accommodation in advance. Tried to upload and burn a disc for photos but unable to find Internet Cafe that does it - will try later. Despite the food being good Lyn had a bacterial infection and had to get antibiotics in Bangkok. Yesterday Lyn had a manicure and pedicure on the beach (6 pounds) while Bob went for a long walk. Last night pushed the boat out on a steak dinner (30 pounds) which is massive for Thailand so we are treating it as our anniversary dinner - we have been paying nothing like that during the whole trip. Vietnam was really the cheapest for food and drink. Well back to the beach now - a bit cloudy after heavy rain during the night. Please feel free to comment or send us a message - we miss you all!!!!

LOL Lyn and Bob XX

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb