Day 10 - Koh Samui


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
January 31st 2007
Published: February 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Here we are again another day another Baht spent, this time on some cookery lessons, possibly some of my friends would say I need them, whilst others would say keep out of the kitchen, but me personally thinks I am a half decent cook that could do with a bit of polishing around the edges and shown how to cook Thai properly.

So after a cheaper breakfast at the Warner Internet Café we catch a taxi to the Samui Institute of Thai Culinary Arts, quite a long title for a cookery school.

We started of the course being shown the raw ingredients like lemon grass cumin seeds and something called Galangal. Next we were shown how to prepare them like chopping or using a mortar and pestle to make a curry paste. Then how to chop the food and and understanding the flavours reactions together which sort of washed over me like a car going through a big puddle. Then the next part was putting it all together and cooking them which was fun, but what was really amazing what when we sat down to eat the food that I had lovingly prepared. It all tasted very very good and my favourite was the Panang Curry with pork and sweet basil. The other things that I cooked were spicy glass noodle salad with seafood and then to finish it all of there was stir fried chicken/vegetable sweet and sour sauce which was nice but not my favourite dish. If you decide to try out the cookery course a little idea. Just book up for one as you can have a guest and Tess was that guest and she was able to watch, learn just what I did and even shared in eating the food, which was more than enough for the two of us. Some others went as a couple and cooked enough food for about six between them and ended up leaving quite a bit, so if you want to save some money just one of you book up.

We went to what was promoted as a Polonisian beach party held by the hotel, I'm not usually one for this sort of thing but Tess persuaded me it would be fun, and it was. After sitting by the pool drinking yet more cocktails we ventured upstairs to the party and watched a great dance display of fire jugglers, traditional New Zealand dancers, can't remember what they are called but if any one does you help is apriciated, also talking about help I have couple of questions, what is the shower nozzle next to the toilet for. And why do loads of Thai people wear yellow tops. Feel free to answer.

Back then to the night's entertainment; there was also women dancing with grass skirts, sorry about the details as I am not that up on all this. They also had a buffet on with a fantastic array of barbeque foods, you have to be carefull not to make a pig of yourself. Also I possibly mentioned this a thousand times but the staff at the Amari hotel are perfect and are always on hand to help.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb