Day 11 - Angthong National Marine Park


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
February 1st 2007
Published: February 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Gordon bennett what time is it. 06:30 and the alarm is going off, shouldn't be allowed but we've got to get up early to catch the mini-bus to our speed boat which is waiting to take us and eighteen others to Angthong National Marine Park. (The tour is with Action islander tours).

This might be the last of our trips as I don't feel like seeing any more buddhas or waterfalls for a while, and temples all you have to do is look no more than 100 yards. Anyway back to my story. The wind was up and the sea looked threatening as it menacingly washed up the beach. Our speed boat was bobbing up and down like a donkey on speed which made it very hard for the unsuspecting group to board.

Once the final person of our group had got on and settled down our tour guide introduced himself as Ken. We had a brief safety talk and then away we went.

To say the journey was a little rocky would be an understatement; we were bounced around sprayed and soaked for an hour just like being on an hour long ride at Sea World. But we all made it unscathed. After a brief look at some of the rock formations we headed to Koh Sam Sao for our first bit of action; snorkling. This was the first time Tess had done snorkling and it had been years since i'd done it so we were both a little apprehensive about doing it, but once in Tess took to it like a fish to water watching all the marine life swimming ahead of her. They were so close she could reach out and touch them. I too soon got used to breathing through a tube and not mu nose and was enjoying watching the fish.

After an hour we headed to the second largest of the islands and trekked up and down ladders and stairs for twenty minutes before we come to the Emerald Lake, so called because of its colour and marvelled at its beauty for ten minutes then headed back to the speed boat.

Our third stop and second island on our travels is the biggest out of the range of islands in the Angthong National Park. Here we have a spot of food, a thai buffet and settle down on the beach to eat. After stuffing our faces and finishing off with yet more pineapple and watermelon, (did I mention every meal comes with pineapple and watermelon, a whole platter of the stuff, nice the firstfew times but after a while . . .) Well we did a bit of kayaking, the first time for both of us. The waves were starting to get a little rougher now and even our guide commented on the condition and decided to go on a shorter trip than usual. So, we headed around an island, landed and went for a swim having gotten our breaths back after battling the waves. Then we headed round the rest of the island. By this time the sea was getting quite choppy and it was quite a struggle to get back to our beach.

The tour guide decided we best head back to Koh Samui before the weather got really bad. That was a fun trip with the boat flying up in the air and crashing down and swaying from side to side like there was no tomorrow, but after a daunting hour on the boat we arrived back at a nice sunny Koh Samui soaking wet and weary. So the only thing left to do was have a shower and head out for beer, cocktails, and food. That always cheers a weary traveller.

Well that's the last of our excersions and everything on the itinerary has been done and ticked off the mental list. All that's left to do is relax on the beach, possibly sunbathe. It's actually winter out here (or the end of the tropical rain season) and we have seen quite a few drops of rain but then it's like having a warm shower. Which still makes it a lot warmer than back in England but all the same still winter, but then it gets very hot out here in the summer, way to hot for our comfort so this is the best time of year to travel out here.

Well that's enough of my rambellings for one day. I'm going for a swim.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb