Day 8 - Journey to Koh Samui


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
January 29th 2007
Published: January 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

10:00... Well its our last day in Kanchanaburi and our last day of having a cold shower in the jungle but it not been all that bad. My first impressions of Kanchanaburi have changed a bit and it will be a place sorely missed. After all, laying in bed at night hearing the wild animals call from the trees, the chance of catching a long boat down the River Kwai are no more, and even the commercialized streets with everything you need from laundry, internet cafes restaurants and Thai massages with every passing bike and Sâamláw" shouting "YOU WANT TAXI" now a distant memory. Ho well must move on.

After a steadier bus journey than planned (3 hours instead of 2) . . .

13:30... we make it to Bangkok then a rushed taxi journey across one of the most congested cites in the world to Bangkok airport

14:15... With only forty minutes left till our flight we make it to the airport and we've got to find out where to check in. Then after finding a check-in desk not yet closed we eventually rush to our gate which is about fifteen minutes from check-in only to find once here the flight has been delayed by twenty-five minutes so we end up waiting after all that rushing. But never mind we are soon to be on our way to Koh Samui.

17:30 Here we are on the Island of Koh Samui. The plane landed at one of the smallest airports we have ever been to. You get off the plane catch a bus to the check-in if that's what you call it in fact there was no check-in just baggage reclaim and then out in to the car park where the hustle and bustle of taxis trying to get your business begins afresh.

We get a taxi which takes us to our hotel; the Amari Palm Reef Resort costing us 300 Baht, that's the average price on this island as its only a small island so you would never expect to spend over 500 Baht to go anywhere.

Once at the hotel we do what has to be done and explore, which means a look around the complex which seems nice with lush tropical planting in the grounds, then a romantic walk along white raked sands on the beach front passing bars, restaurant and beach front massages parlors. I might even get beads in my hair as it only cost 150 Baht, but Tess says my hair's not long enough.
I had got it cut just before we came to Thailand a very short cut but I think it might still be worth asking.

We find this beach side restaurant called Budsaba where there's small bamboo huts dotted about with small tables inches of the floor and mats to sit on whilst watching the waves wash upon the shore. The wind was blowing gently from the ocean, whilst we sat cross legged, sipping cocktails by candlelight and eating our Thai dinner brought out and served in impeccable style as if we were royalty.

Ok the food wasn't the best but very good and the wind was strong so we had to have some of the shutters down but it was still very romantic. If you are in the area and come across the Budsaba I would most definitely recommend a night time dinner.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb