Whats not to love!?!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
July 10th 2006
Published: July 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After an eventful journey from the airport with a taxi driver intent on taking care of our travel needs...sure!?! We only stopped in Phuket long enough to phone ahead and book our accom. for Phi Phi....someone would pick us up at the port...nice! The boat trip was uneventful, just how I like them, Gillian actually felt the waves a little more that me on this occasion! We got picked up at the port alright...by a boy on a moped! hahaha, you should have seen the look on mum's face as she climbed onto the sidecart type thingie! No cars on the Island....cant complain! All you really have to watch our for is the odd cyclist shouting beep beep! We spent 8 days at the Viewpoint resort. Our Bungalow was great, amazing views over Lo Dalem bay! There is still a lot of work going on post-tsunami, the Island is scarred but you cant get away from how beautiful it is. 'this is the life' was said more than once whilst enjoying a beer/cocktail as the sun was going down! We took a taxi boat to Long Beach for the day....it was roasting and I ended up feeling a little woozy, it was nice to be somewhere a little more remote, not that any of the beaches were packed! Long Beach is also home to the worlds most disgusting toilet...there's something they wont tell you in the Lonely Planet! The less said on that fact the better! We took one of the many boat trips round the Island and visited Phi Phi Lay (set for The Beach) the whole day was one of our favs! Lots of snorkelling and beautiful sights...mum mastered the snorkelling, kinda! Bamboo Island was out of this world, soft white sand and cristal clear waters, Monkey beach we figured would be void of monkeys...we were proved wrong, masses of Spider Monkeys splashed at the waters edge looking for treats, the babies were soooo cute!

Regardless of its outward appearance every restaurant we visited provided delish food....we got hooked on Thai cusine for sure, I just couldnt quite stomach rice for breakfast though! The bar/rest at our resort was a little faulty towersish....the permanently stoned owner was to blame but it was great for a breaky of fresh fruit....cant do much to that!

The bars are aplenty on Phi Phi as it is a major backpacker stop! Seems like it might be spoiled in the next few years as a result! Oh well, we got to enjoy! Hippies Bar was our bar of choice and they had nightly fire shows on the beach, the buckets werent half bad either. The fire dancers were amazing and as most of you know I am a bit of a pyro...I decided to give this one a miss, they made it look easy but I really didn't fancy parting with my hair or eyebrows!

The people on the Island are the ultimate of laidback and it isnt hard to fall in line with that living...we could have stayed for much longer, none of us were quite ready to leave! Gill and I went for 2 dives for our last day...the coral was amazing! We found Nemo (and his dad), blow fish, razor fish, a scary sea snake, some really poisenous ones with ribboney bits, a few Baracudas (one rather large one!?!?!) and masses of other colourful reef fish! No pics im affraid....you'll just have to take our word for it! On dry land mum spent the day lounging at the pool and indulged in a Thai massage, it comes highly recommended! I was a wee bit jealous!

All packed up and not ready to leave, boat to catch back to Phuket...not so uneventful!

Sailing through a Monsoon = not much fun!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



22nd July 2006

Oh my Buddha ;0)
Loving your blog site... happy to have shared such fun memories with you baby sis! So excited for you and your next big adventure! Keep the photos comin!!! I love girl! Bisous xxx
2nd August 2006

You said it great
So easy to get used to the nonchalant way of being on Ko Phi Phi... loving your blog!

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb