So it begins


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 3rd 2006
Published: July 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well first things first....my flights were all good, no delays!!! I actually got through immigration ahead of Gill and a rather vexed looking mum...much like at Morrisons she picked the slowest moving line!!! We were then ushered to the taxi booth...pre-paying seems to be the way to go (probs got robbed blind!). The heat hit us immediatly...woohoo!!!! Bangkok is, well its a little crazy! I was lucky enough to get put up front with the driver, a million and one near misses later we arrived at our Hotel. It was Braw!!!

We got to our hotel after 5 so we just dumped our stuff and went out for a walk...in the rain! Damned monsoon season! We got a little confused and ended up ordering enough food for about 6 people, when it cost like $1 per dish is is a little had to work out....we left shame faced and totally stuffed, no we didnt eat it all...mum did! ; )
We crashed just after 10 and woke up fresh for our first full day...or so we thought! Mum was like what time is it, 12.30....dont be ridiculous, lunchtime, its still dark outside...yea we had only slept for 2 hrs...more of a power nap really! time change can be a killer!

The whole experience of Bangkok was rather odd. I totally loved it but 3 days were really enough to see all the sights. Some of the smells were a little tough to handle...Bangkok is best seen hangover free as it is not for the weak stomached!!! There was a Sky Train Station right at our Hotel, its the best way to avoid the traffic so we jumped on and off like pros! Took river boats to get to all the main sights. The reclining Budda was just amazing....shes so huge and gold...I love gold, isn't it veird! ; ) The Grand Palace was fab as well! Luckily we knew not to believe the shady Tuck Tuck men who told us it was closed, a few Irish guys we met werent so lucky and ended up being taken to various taylors around the city!

The heat and humidity mixed with the terrible polution had my mum buying an inhaler at Boots....yes you heard right, Boots! Not to forget Burger King, Pizza Hut, 7eleven, McD's and Starbucks to name but a few...if it wasnt for all the asian folk, shanty townesk buildings and dodgy smells in between it really could have been a US city!

We had to check out of our hotel on the Monday so Sunday night mum and I went out to dinner and Gillian went off to meet an old school friend. We found a great wee place near our hotel where the Singha's were nice and chilled, mum was reading the menu when I quite casually said, oh look theres an elephant in the street! hahaha, brill!!! We saw 3, I like to think that thy were mum dad and baby...so cute and rather huge!

After dinner we jumped into an internet cafe to look for flights down to Phuket...how laid back/ disorganised are we!?! Got some cheap flights for first thing the next morning so we went back to pack up our room! We decided to org accom. when we got down to Phuket, mostly cause it was after 11pm and to late to call places. We couldnt print of our itinerary so we just turned up at the airport with a scrap of paper with our flight details, they seemed not to be bothered, I guess they are used to travelling jakes!

All in all I really loved Bangkok, the people were great. It was a little hard to take at times as the divide between rich and poor is soooo vast, there is sheer opulence right next to total squaller! Def worth a visit!

However, bring on Koh Phi Phi!!!

Pics will follow, this comp doest have a USB, should probs have checked that before I sat down! xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



13th July 2006

Im jealous
I wish i could go with you. I may go to india this winter. Will you be heading there??
14th July 2006

WOOOW you have done so much already
Hey Fee jst a quick note to say hi - read your journal so far - you three are having a blast ... bet this is all new for maw tho hehe. cant beleive there is a boots out there hehe and the elephants jst roaming around haha brilliant. well im off to Ireland tonite (bet ur jealous - haha) seems like a trip to Ayr compared to your travels haha!!! well i hope to hear your nxt entry asap .... id better go as paul is picking me up in 20mins and i STILL havent finished packing (you know me need emergancy outfits haha) have fun and take care of each other ... hi to the girlies when u get there. love you. miss you. Lins xxxxxx

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb