Paradise Island


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well we’ve been on Koh Phi Phi for around a week now and you know what I said about the weather being not too great? Well we’ve had about 4 scorchers in a row now so we’re happy topping up our tans!

Phi Phi is really expensive and it’s low season at the moment so I’d hate to think what it would be like in the high season! We ended up finding a room for 4oo baht, and that includes a toilet with a flush AND hot water!! For those of you that don’t know, that is serious luxury over here, and for a bargain price! We’re not in a resort, it’s literally a room that somebody is renting. We’re right in the Thai quarter of the village and we have lovely views of brick walls, but I don’t mind. We’re only ever there to sleep, shit, shower and shave and the village is so small that wherever you are you are literally 3 minutes from the beach, and pretty much everywhere else for that matter!!

Met up with Kiwi Paul and have been partying a lot with him. Phi Phi is mostly mountains and forest so the main
View 2View 2View 2

One for the photo album!
village is basically the only settlement here. It is probably not much bigger than Nayland (for those of you that don’t know how big Nayland is tough titties!!  ) so there isn’t really much else to do except sit on the beach all day and party at night. Our Usual crawl is to Jordan’s Irish pub, then onto the Reggae bar (the one with the boxing ring in the middle), then to Apache bar (more of a club, had some good nights, but not really my scene, all they ever play is girly house or down right crap R&B) after here we move on to hippies bar (more of a chill out place to round the night off.).

The reggae bar is by far my favourite. The Muay Thai fights that they have there are all exhibitions so are very much staged, but still excellent to watch. It’s more like watching WWF Wrestling Thai style. The guys are great showmen; they sometimes jump out of the ring and hit each other with tables. It’s hilarious watching the new arrivals as they think it’s real, you can see their faces wincing when kicks are thrown etc. (although it’s an excellent excuse to start up conversations with fit girls). When the westerners fight they get really serious, it’s quite funny, but at the same time quite pathetic. There are no gum shields so 99% of the time they come out of the ring with chipped teeth and bleeding lips. I was really not interested in getting up there with someone I didn’t know, but after some gentle persuasion from James in the form of Sang Som buckets he convinced me to get up there with him. Unfortunately we did not have the camera out with us so no photos. It was a good laugh, just three rounds of light sparring, but the audience loved it because it was actually kickboxing and not just brawling (and it was an easy way to get a free bucket).

Koh Phi Phi is made up of 2 islands. Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Leh. Don is the built up island where the parties and guesthouses are, whereas Leh is a national park so is uninhabited (it’s the island where they filmed ‘The Beach’). We took a day trip over there to go to a place called Maya Bay. Maya Bay is actually
StepsStepsSteps

A long climb to the viewpoint, but definitely worth it.
THE beach and it was so beautiful. We took a longtail boat over there, which was actually fucking dangerous! There was not one point in the journey when I felt that we weren’t going to capsize! When you approach Phi Phi Leh it looks completely impenetrable due to the sheer limestone cliff faces surrounding it. We continued around a corner and entered Maya Bay, we were all pretty much speechless. You know that beautiful turquoise colour that the sea should be, but never is? Well here it certainly is! I just couldn’t wait to jump over the side of the boat and have a swim. We arrived at a perfect time - we were told by somebody that 10 minutes prior there were about 200 people there all on a big island hopping boat trip - so it just looked like an untouched paradise! The mood was slightly ruined after about 5 minutes however, as a Thai bloke came over and told us that we had to pay 200 baht for the privilege of setting foot on the sand! It is legitimate. They charge everyone because it’s a national park, but we couldn’t help but wonder what the actual price is and how much he pockets! Oh well, it was definitely worth it.

We then continued around the island past the Viking Cave. You cannot go in this cave as it is protected due to the birds nest harvesting. Over here there is a species of bird called the Sea Swift. It looks very similar to our swift back home however it is totally white. These birds build their nests high above sea level (on cliff faces or cave canopies) and construct their nests entirely of their own saliva. Now in Japan (I think) there is a dish called ‘Birds Nest Soup’ that people pay a ridiculous amount of money for, therefore harvesting these nests is a very lucrative (albeit very dangerous) business. If you look on the picture attached you’ll see loads of bamboo structures that they use to get up high enough to reach the nests. We also went past the tidal lagoon on the island that is also pretty spectacular. After a very choppy and down right scary boat ride back I was pretty tired, but happy with a day well spent.

In Thailand all of the restaurants screen DVDs at scheduled times, like a
Me and RuneMe and RuneMe and Rune

This guy is a great bloke, but he's a Calvin Klein underwear model so it sort of ruins you chances if you go out on the pull with him!
cinema. It’s nice in some ways as it’s great to chill out and watch a film when you’re really hung over, however on the other hand we came out here to experience different cultures and we keep getting Hollywood thrust in our faces. On Phi Phi they show the film ‘The Beach’ numerous times a day. It’s like an advert for the island. There is a very interesting part of the film when Leonardo ‘Irritating Squeaky-voiced’ Dicaprio’s character observes a load of travelers watching a film and comments that it seems pointless that all of these people travel thousands of miles to do exactly what they do at home. You could see every one in the restaurant look a little bit uneasy! If I was on a 2 week holiday then I would regard it as criminal, but being here for so long makes it a luxury I can deal with.

We went up to a place called view point and looking down onto the two bays from up there was absolutely amazing, but at the same time very scary as you can imagine the route that the Tsunami took, totally flattened everything in its path and washed it all out to sea. There is still a lot of evidence of the Tsunami hitting the island. There are areas that were once filled with bungalows and beach huts that are now completely flattened, the only way of telling there was ever anything there is seeing lines of concrete foundations where the bungalows once stood. On our way back from the viewpoint we also saw the grave of a young child killed in the disaster. This was a harsh and upsetting, but very real reminder of the devastation that was caused by the wave.

I get the impression that Phi Phi island has an uncertain future. The redevelopment here could go two ways - geared towards backpackers or package holidays. Walking along the beach I noticed a couple of plush hotel complexes in mid construction. Phi Phi is a truly beautiful place and the people are very friendly, but I can’t help but feel that the village is slowly losing it’s charm to make way for the western culture. Every time I go out I really enjoy walking through the Thai quarter. You see no Westerners, just shops selling fresh fish and authentic Thai dishes being fried in a wok on the side of the street - a steal at 30 baht compared to the numerous restaurants charging extortionate amounts for poorly imitated burgers, pizzas and spaghetti bolognaise.

I hope that they manage to find a happy medium with the redevelopment in order for the island to keep it’s Thai charm, hold onto the great backpacking party atmosphere, yet still be the ideal romantic destination for lovebirds, young and old alike.

Sorry about that guys, went on a bit of a rant there, I promise the next blog will be a bit more lighthearted, I just felt that the whole Tsunami thing had to be mentioned.

P.S. Sorry if some of the photos are a bit blurry, we found a grain of sand in the lens of the camera - what an arse!! It's all sorted now though.

Until we meet again.

Over and out.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Maya Bay 1Maya Bay 1
Maya Bay 1

It might look a little bit different to the film as a lot of the vegetation and palm trees were flattened when the wave hit.
Maya Bay 2Maya Bay 2
Maya Bay 2

What can I say?


29th May 2006

Yeah, whatever!
Locations all right but just cannot compare to the panoramic views of the Asda industrial estate from my flat, sorry nice try.
29th May 2006

Wow! Looks great! Was a bit worried as there has been an earthquake in Java, which isn't too far from where you are so was hoping to hear from you soon... Glad you're ok. xxx
30th May 2006

the calvin klien underwear model has nothing on you, know what i mean ;) looks absolutly fab looks like your having a good time babe cant wait for the next installment. xx
30th May 2006

wheres the sun
hey Pete. Lucky you didn't get caught up in that eathquake that hit Java! Thanks for the pics mate, just what I want to see after a rainy bank holiday! It was the may fair yesterday, the New Town Kings played a blinder, they where the only band to hold off the rain! I heard on the radio this morning that summer is finally coming, the weekend is supposed to be a scorcher, well, lets hope so anyway! take care mate, I'll send you an email with more detail about whats been going on.
30th May 2006

Mmmmmmmm
That one beach looks AMAAAAAZIIIING. I can feel a Shirley Valentine coming on... (ask yer mum)
30th May 2006

Oh, and please tell James....
I keep trying to subscribe to his 'friend' thing, but for some reason I keep having probs. have him email me at james@jjharding.com sometime...
30th May 2006

Awesome.
Alright Pete, spoke to Ryan and Paul in the last week or two and was told of your epic beer-swilling thai-boxing adventures so thought I'd track down your blog. Just read through the lot - Sounds/looks like an unforgetable experience! When I last saw you I was off to Arctic Norway for 6 months... Hmmm, somehow think I got the short straw! lol (Here's a link to a few pics I took - just a tad chillier there. ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/44846486@N00/sets/1277704/show/ ) Pass on an 'alright mate' to James aswell, haven't seen him in years though fondly remember messy all nighters in Ipswich of a Friday night with him and Chewit. Keep up with the scribblings/photography, I've never really seen much of this blog business before but this is awesome - looking forward to the next installment... Take it easy, George
31st May 2006

Well I can't complain about lack of scenic pics this time!...it all looks so beautiful. So glad you actually DID it Pete - all those months of working, dreaming and saving - was it worth it? Still like WINTER again here (half-term, my hol.) north wind (icy cold) and rain. Think of us as you soak up the rays... birds nest soup sounds delish, unfortunatey (luckily!) not readily available in Colchester. Thanks for the pin-up of the pants model - but (though I'm sure he's a nice bloke...) he's got NOTHING on you!!!!Both you and James look great in that photo! Having a 'family day' on Sat. so I'm going to set up the laptop on your blog, then Nana and Grandma, and Granny and Grandad etc. can all have a read and see the photos! What I'll then do is start another reply to you and try to get them all to type a little bit (quite good for Nana - being deaf - very visual...just think, she's 100 - when she was young it was horses and carriages... the progress in technology is quite mind-boggling). So we'll all be thinking of you. Really growing to like computers after all, it's so nice to be in contact like this. Love you very much, mumxxxxx
31st May 2006

Fantastic and Beautiful
Fully understand your need to rant on about the way the western influence can spoil it all. Just glad you have experienced the real thing along with the tourist version! The approach to Maya Bay from the sea looks fantastic. Great that you got the place to yourselves! These buckets you talk about, I presume are full of some alcoholic mix but can you choose the ingredients?You both look very fit and healthy, I am surprised! Rosie came to stay with Hannah and Josh the last 4 days, it was lovely, they are both so gorgeous and noisy! Lots of love, A.Jane x
1st June 2006

Hello Uncle Pete & Uncle James
Hello Uncle Pete i would like to tell you about my yoyo ive got. I can now swing it up and down! Ive got a fish tank and have bought four fish today and I have called one Uncle Pete after you. We are round Granny's at the minute. bcccccccccccc7787hnayreqaz - Hannah typed that all by herself! Hope youre ok Pete miss you lots. We are all ok just got back from a 5 day break with Aunty Jane had a superb time. Spent a night in London with Claire which was brilliant - drank far too much wine! Cant beleive how beautiful it is where you are and how blue the sea is. Sounds like youve met sum lovely people as well. Must go and put the kids to bed. Love you lots and lots Big Sis x x Josh is sitting up by himself now and can roll across the room. He is very cheeky and blows raspberrys at you if he doesnt like something. He has great delight in pulling his sisters hair which causes chaos every time! He sends a big kiss x x ccccctttttwwwwwwxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - message from Hannah x
3rd June 2006

Alrite Pete, wow the pics look amazing..reckon you're puttin me to shame coz i didnt return from phi phi with photo's like that-didnt even make it to Maya Bay..oh well thats what being Irish and generally drunk does to you!! not sure when your leaving for cambodia but trust me you've got so much to look forward to, i loved it there, beautiful scenery, really cool people and a nite life to rival even bucket-fueled kho phangnan!! really, anything goes there its so much fun! make sure to hop on the back of a moto pissed drunk and intoxicated with any other substances that tickle your fancy and just buzz around the city for a while..doesn't get much better than that! and try to beat our tuk tuk record if you dare-thats 11 people in the one tuk tuk-there were people on the roof, hanging out the sides, from the back, dont know how we did it but we did...reckon we would have been quicker walking but wheres the fun in that?!! i think our driver made about a months wages from that one journey! if you wana get off the beaten track for a bit id def recommend that you go to prasat preah vihear. its a temple built at the top of a mountain on the border between thai and cambodia-absolutely breathtaking views, you can see across cambodia, thailand, and laos from there. even getting there is an adventure in itself, i got a pickup truck from siem reap to anlong veng(the town nearest it), very funny stuff altogether-me in the front and about 40 cambodians piled into the back all staring, smiling, taking photos of me and trying to talk to me in cambodian! i was the only tourist in the town and practically no one there could speak english so it was a bit daunting but i managed..so long as your not paranoid about people literally stopping dead in their tracks to stare at you you'l be alrite!! you can hire a moto driver from there to drive you up into the mountains where theres beautiful views aswell, and to drive you to the temple-it takes about 2 hours, then when you get to the base of the mountain you've to hire a specialised moto to bring you up the mountain "road". i cant even begin to describe how bad and steep this road is-kho phangnan has nothing on it! u can imagine how scared i was after the fall, especially coming back down but it was all good, these drivers know what they're at. i managed to stumble upon i think one of the only guys in the town that could speak english. he works in a restaurant that has a sign outside saying 'music restaurant' so hel help you find a moto etc. shit this has turned into an essay hope im not rambling too much but reckon you wanted some advice for cambodia. im in vietnam now, going touring the countryside tomorrow on a motorbike with this easy rider tour guide..sounds pretty shit cool to me! anyway i gots to go now cos this cafe is closing an im the only idiot left here typing, looking forward to hearing bout your cambodia experiences, be good, have fun... xxx
3rd June 2006

Hi
It seems your getting a good feel of the place and taking in all the local atmosphere I must admit I rather envy you, although I don't think I'd have the staying power to hang in there. Nevertheless I enjoy hearing what you're up to, so keep the news coming and I'll just have to use my imagination. Lots of love, look after yourself - don't do anything I wouldn't - which gives you plenty of scope! Grandad.
3rd June 2006

Dear Peter and JAMES so glad you are well and happy I love you best EFTO!love granny xxxx
3rd June 2006

Family day (sans Pete & James)
Great fun seeing mum (granny to you) typing on the laptop! (took her quite a time to write that!!) Grandad wanted to send you a message - but dictated it to me! Had a great day, God was kind and decided to make it sunny, so we were all outside, including Nana and Grandma, the babes, et al. Now they've all gone and I've just finished clearing up. Missed you, wasn't quite the same without you.(maybe because there were no baked beans...!) Love you - Mum xxx

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb