Koh Phi Phi Ley


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
February 2nd 2011
Published: February 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Snorkelling spotSnorkelling spotSnorkelling spot

Ko Phi Phi Lay, Thailand
We woke to a perfect Phi Phi morning and had to persuade our still recovering kids to get ready for snorkelling. Jasper had been looking forward to this trip for a long time so it was a shame he wasn’t 100%. We hired a longtail boat and driver (Kao) and headed toward the uninhabited island of Koh Phi Phi Ley to find some snorkelling spots among the many blooms of coral there. The scenery on the way was sublime. Steep cliffs soaring vertically from crystal blue water…definitely easy on the eyes.
We stopped first at Ao Maya…the picturesque bay made famous as the setting for the film ‘The Beach’. We jumped straight from the boat into clear blue water teeming with schools of colourful fish. The kids enjoyed it for a while but their energy levels soon waned so we hopped back into the longtail and Kao took us further round the island to a beautiful protected bay which seemed even more stunning than the first one. The fish were literally waiting for us…it was gorgeous and so relaxing to float around in their underwater world. The kids rested in the shade on the boat for a while, before Todd and I had to be dragged from the water to join them for the trip back to Hat Yao, where Jasper rested in the comfort of the bungalow, and Phoebe went for a big swim in the sea right in front of it. She happily declared that she wanted to swim there forever...even at night! Such a shame we’re leaving tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Maya BayMaya Bay
Maya Bay

Ko Phi Phi Lay
Narrow passageNarrow passage
Narrow passage

Into the smaller bay on Phi Phi Lay
Heading backHeading back
Heading back

The kids earned a rest on the way back to Phi Phi Don


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb