Koh East to Koh West


Advertisement
Published: June 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our 30th day in Thailand was a 10am start by ferry from Koh Phagnan to Surat Thani via Koh Samui. Then by mini-bus to the west coast in Krabi. Very straight roads and a ridged right foot meant the driver got us there by 7pm,in time to check in to a cool hostel which was very very clean called Chanchalay,who also arranged ferry tickets to Koh Phi Phi Don. We ate at the local night market in Krabi which was very good value but the sewers were abit stinky.
Its only an hour and a half to KPP by the local ferry called PP family ltd. Its an amazing entrance to KPP with the limestone cliffs on your left and long beach on your right,very sheltered but not without danger as 2004 proved with the Tsunami which killed 20 or so I think.
Only 3 days here to relax take in the people watching and sun, it was very busy here even though its low season. Our highlight was a snorkelling trip to Koh Pi Pi Lay where "The Beach" was filmed staring Leonardo Capriano for those who havn't seen it,including Lynn.
We took the opportunity to get some washing done by some massage ladies for a pound per kg,this is expensive in Thailand.You can't spend alot of time on KPP unless your diving but its a must visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Koh Phi Phi  approachingKoh Phi Phi  approaching
Koh Phi Phi approaching

View from ferry on the way in to pier, amazing limestone cliffs.
North Beach Phi PhiNorth Beach Phi Phi
North Beach Phi Phi

Only 250 metres between north and south beaches.
Phi Phi Hotel viewPhi Phi Hotel view
Phi Phi Hotel view

we were on the 3rd floor one of the highest hotels here.
A sharp reminder of 2004 tsunamiA sharp reminder of 2004 tsunami
A sharp reminder of 2004 tsunami

these were everywhere to point people in the right direction to high ground in case of a tsunami.
Royal BuntingRoyal Bunting
Royal Bunting

the royal princess had just visited 2 days earlier,all the pavements were fixed etc. apparently!
Taxi BoatsTaxi Boats
Taxi Boats

No roads on Phi Phi, so the only way is by foot or boat, and there was alot of taxi boats.
View Point Koh Phi Phi DonView Point Koh Phi Phi Don
View Point Koh Phi Phi Don

Amazing views but no sunset,too many clouds.Very steep to get up to but worth it.
North Beach tide in!North Beach tide in!
North Beach tide in!

Check the colour of the water, its true what they say that the water in the east is clearer than the west.
007 Boat007 Boat
007 Boat

loads of private speed boats and cruisers for charter.
Koh Phi Phi LayKoh Phi Phi Lay
Koh Phi Phi Lay

1500ft limestone cliffs
The beach from"The Beach"The beach from"The Beach"
The beach from"The Beach"

Us arriving for a break from snorkelling, there was loads of people and boats here,very touristy.
Karst FormationsKarst Formations
Karst Formations

waited for all to leave for this shot.
Viking CaveViking Cave
Viking Cave

We passed here on way back from PP Lay. 10 Thais live in here and collect the birds nests for loads of money as a delicacy, not exactly sure which bird,swallow or swift maybe?


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb