Digging the mellow vibe in Phi Phi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
October 23rd 2008
Published: October 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ah, Koh Phi Phi , home of 'The Beach'. . . Well, whilst we haven't spotted Leonardo DiCaprio yet, the place is full of seasoned back packers looking to discover their own little bit of paradise.
Having been met at the pier by a load of touts trying to get us into their hotels, we succumbed to one who seemed to divide his loyalties between Liverpool and Man U football teams - depending upon which one we said we liked the best! Anyway, he managed to get us into a room for 900 bht a night. Lovely clean place but staff none too friendly - they wanted to fleece us for 300bht for taking our key off the fob!
The main beach at Phi Phi isn't too pretty, so we took a longtail boat to Long Beach- beautiful clear water and sand like powder. Whilst on the beach, we were approached by a canadian fellow called Bob who apparently has the only sailboat on the island, offering trips which include kayaking, snorkelling and diving.
Sounding like a great idea, we booked ourselves in. The boat takes up to 10 people and we shared the trip with 5 other canadian guys who we think were probably most persuaded by the inclusion of free booze throughout!
First stop was Monkey Bay. Bob couldn't sail in too close so we had to dive off the boat and swim to shore with a banana tucked down our bikini to feed the monkeys. Didn't get too close - those bleeders look vicious up close! Then had to swim back to the boat, which took it out of us, before sailing on to Maya Bay.
The only way of actually getting on to Maya without paying 400 bht is by going through a little cave, holding on to a rope. At this point, I booked myself in to have my first dive lesson with Bob, so Geen decided to do a bit of snorkelling whilst I nearly killed myself trying to learn to stay afloat with a tank and weights attached to me, whilst mastering the breathing through my mouth (bit difficult when you are a bit of a yapper!). In the words of Bob, I am "not a natural"!!
Unfortunately, after my somewhat unsuccessful expedition into deep sea diving, got back on the boat only to find Geen looking slightly green around the gills - a colour she maintained from lunchtime til we got back to the pier at 6.30pm! She was still swaying 3 hours later as we supped our singhas at Breakers Bar. Therefore, we didn't even get to see the famous Maya Bay after all! Ah well, a postcard will have to do!
Nightlife isn't as hectic as Samui or Phangan, but busy all the same, with Jordans Irish Bar, Hippies Bar and Apache (now relocated to the beach) to name but a few.
Met up with Darren, our friend from Wales and caught up with a few more faces that we've met along the way - everybody seems to be doing the same thing - travelling - only a few people are actually on their hols.
One more day here and then we're off to Koh Lanta and poss Koh Lipe. However, we've yet to climb to the viewpoint. which is planned for this afternoon so whether we actually make it back down again is yet to be seen . . keep you posted!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Gina 055Gina 055
Gina 055

Auditioning for the next Beyonce video!
Gina 053Gina 053
Gina 053

Where's the dry ice!
Tequila!Tequila!
Tequila!

Our drunk longtail boat driver!
Sailing to Maya BaySailing to Maya Bay
Sailing to Maya Bay

Ellen Mcarthur eat your heart out!
Gina 177Gina 177
Gina 177

What more cocktails....


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb