Relaxing in Railay


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Railay
October 19th 2008
Published: October 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A bus, a catamaran, taxi, plane, shuttle bus, and longtail boat later, we arrived in Krabi. We thought the bloke was having a laugh when he loaded up our luggage on to the longtail boat and dumped us in about 2ft of water, expecting us to make our way up the beach to find our accommodation (which we had not yet booked). Ah, them smiling Thais!
We landed at Railay West but accommodation here was so expensive that we took a short (but very hot) walk to the opposite side - Railay East - which Geen bagged us a 6 quid a night treetop room (yes, we literally were in the eves) in a place called Ya Ya Resort - infamously quoted in the Lonely Planet guide as a bit of dump! (We only found this out latterly, having already heaved our luggage up 2 treacherous flights of stairs).
However, accommodation aside, Railay is very lovely, with a nice beach and some nice restaurants and bars - ideal for a total chilled out time.
On our second day, in the mood for a bit of exploring, we chanced upon another beach which was totally beautiful. Pranang Beach is a short walk through caves and can be at times difficult to reach depending upon the tides, but once we got there it was well worth it. There were boats selling food and drinks and we ate Pad Thai and had banana shakes all for the grand total of 1 pound! The best thai food so far, in our humble opinion! On the way back we were astounded to see a family of wild monkeys, jumping to the ground and picking up bits of food, seemingly totally oblivious to the humans happily snapping away around them! We both commented that you would have to pay for such a privilege usually. On the way back there was a massive thunderstorm and it bucketted solid for a couple of hours - this has been our first bit of rain since we have been here so we consider ourselves to be very lucky, since it is low season.
Only spending 3 nights here (by which time we had thoroughly recuperated from the Full Moon) our last night was spent with Darren, our friend from Wales who we met in Phangan.
We are now ready to party some more so bring it on Phi Phi!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Native monkeys!!Native monkeys!!
Native monkeys!!

Stepped off Pranang beach to be greeted by a family of monkeys - you'd usually have to pay for the privilege.
Gina 160Gina 160
Gina 160

Our friend Darren Toop from Wales.


27th October 2008

Hey Gina, been checking out your blog entries so thought I'd send a comment let you know how jealous you are making everyone!! Looks like all is going well and your photos are amazing. Keep the updates coming. Enjoy Malaysia! Take care Helen xx

Tot: 0.727s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 76; dbt: 0.6696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb