LZ - Koh Phi Phi


Advertisement
Published: December 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Room in Phuket TownRoom in Phuket TownRoom in Phuket Town

This was probably the worst place I paid money to stay in. I had to stay here for the night because I missed the boat to Koh Phi Phi. It reminded me, so much, of the scene from the movie "The Beach." I was thinking that Daffy was going to pop through the window up above and offer me a cigarette and a map to a secret island.
Please review my pictures and the captions. I had many personal thoughts during my time on Koh Phi Phi. They are written in a journal, but not published on this site. The experience is one that I will never forget. I sought happiness on this trip and found it in a variety of ways. From working with strangers who came to this island from all around the world for the same reason I had, to helping a local family enjoy their life in a way that it might have been before they lost everything.
Perhaps I will publish these experiences in the future, but for now they will remain personal and leave you with a quote.
"Happiness that is genuinely satisfying is accompanied by the fullest exercise of our faculties and the fullest realization of the world in which we live."


Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Bathroom in Phuket TownBathroom in Phuket Town
Bathroom in Phuket Town

My luxurious facilities.
Approach to ParadiseApproach to Paradise
Approach to Paradise

The view of Koh Phi Phi from the boat. It was about two hours from the mainland. From a distance, it looked like a hidden paradise.
Koh Phi Phi LeyKoh Phi Phi Ley
Koh Phi Phi Ley

Yours truly approaching Maya Bay. The secluded beach used to in the filming of the movie, "The Beach." The same movie that turned this pristine island to an overpopulated tourist destination.
Maya BayMaya Bay
Maya Bay

If I had known the boats in the background contained the contestants to the Miss Universe competition, I would have jumped off the boat and swam my ass all the way there. Unfortunately, I didn't know they were there until it was too late.
Maya Bay PanoramicMaya Bay Panoramic
Maya Bay Panoramic

The entrance to paradise. This is where the movie, "The Beach" was filmed. It's also where they staged that shark attack where the guy got mauled and the water turned red from his blood. It wasn't red this time.
FirestartersFirestarters
Firestarters

My first night on the Koh Phi Phi was spent finding a place to stay. The rest of it was spent enjoying the free entertainment and the free dinner that was provided to the volunteers.
HiPhiPhiHiPhiPhi
HiPhiPhi

This was the organization, that consisted mostly of backpackers from around the world, that I worked with to help the native islanders rebuild their lives and businesses after the destruction caused by the 12/26/04 tsunami.
HiPhiPhi HeadquartersHiPhiPhi Headquarters
HiPhiPhi Headquarters

A makeshift headquarters and nursing station that was utilized as a meeting place for anyone who wanted to help out.
HiPhiPhi KitchenHiPhiPhi Kitchen
HiPhiPhi Kitchen

This was the where the volunteers came to eat lunch and dinner after the laborious work we did throughout the day. Free thai food made by the thai mamas was a just reward for our hard work.
DestructionDestruction
Destruction

First day on the job, this was the scene down at the area called Viewpoint. It used to be a secluded part of the island that contained quaint bungalos. Pictured is the debris that the tsunami left in it's wake.
ProgressProgress
Progress

After a full day of sifting through and digging up all sorts of debris, we made some visible progress. We created a burning pile and a garbage pile. We also had an area reserved for personal affects that were found that were to be returned to the families of lost loved ones.
DestructionDestruction
Destruction

This used to be a water treatment facility. The olympic sized "pool" that is pictured had been filled with destroyed bungalos and their contents. Unfortunately, their "contents" included over 400 dead people who were trapped or were sleeping at the time the tsunami hit.
DestructionDestruction
Destruction

This was the scene a few steps from the main dock. It is impossible to determine where this debris came from, but there were several 5 star resorts in the area that looked like they were gutted.
DestructionDestruction
Destruction

Another area that used to contain a bunch of bungalos, but only contains some dead coconuts now.
DestructionDestruction
Destruction

How this former residence was still standing made us all scratch our heads. It was a bit of a metaphor for this island. The tsunami swept away families, foundations of buildings and peoples lives, but the will to stand and rebuild by those who survived remained.
DestructionDestruction
Destruction

This was the hotel where I stayed. This courtyard and the bungalos surrounding it were being rebuilt. My room was in the pink longhouse pictured in the background. 300 baht per night ($6 USD) was a fair price, but after a few days I negotiated down to $5 per night.


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb