LZ - Pattaya


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Pattaya
May 3rd 2005
Published: May 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Pattaya SunsetPattaya SunsetPattaya Sunset

View from my cousin's balcony. This apartment complex was a towering building that was almost completely vacant. Having the gorgeous pool to yourself wasn't so bad.
I spent several days in Pattaya with my cousin John. It was a surreal place and one where you can find anything you want. It made Vegas look tame, but at the same time, it was a very friendly atmosphere. Perhaps that was created by the girls running from the bars and begging you to hang out with them. Unfortunately, it was loaded with tourists who were usually 50+ years old looking to spend their retirement money on one or many of the beautiful girls who could be the same age as their granddaughters. Perhaps just looking for some of that elusive thing called happiness.
The clubs here varied greatly. What you found on one street, or Soi as it's called, could have been completely different from what was on the next street over. One could have typical strip clubs aimed toward straight men while the next would contain clubs with ladyboy caberet shows or gay shows. Some of the clubs we went into had 10 girls on stage clinging to their 10 poles, somewhat dancing, and somewhat stripping. They weren't typical shows where there was some form of choreography. Instead, the girls wore numbers on their bikini bottoms and bounced
Pattaya SunsetPattaya SunsetPattaya Sunset

I wish I had more pictures of this sunset because it was unreal as it got later in the day.
back and fourth until someone in the audience paid their "bar fine" to one of the mamasans patroling the crowd. There was, of course, some other places that had the shows where it was more theatrical. There were also the ones where the girls performed alarming physical acts with their private parts. Those were advertised on the street by men who reminded me of the mexicans in Vegas with their porn advertisements. The only difference was that they were advertising shows where girls pull razor blades or shoot ping pong balls from...well, lets not go there. And no...I didn't see one of these shows, although I was curious about the razor blade advertisement.
Anyway, the actual night clubs were great. My favorite was called, Lucifer and it was huge. In the front was a nice lounge type bar that had a band playing some old american classics. In the back, it opened to a tremendous night club. This place was huge and was packed. For once, the guy to girl ratio was in my favor. Actually, when looking around, it was a bit difficult to even see another guy in the ocean of thai women. In short, it was a glorious scene and it was nothing but a great time. What made it more fun was that the women don't act like they are gods gift to the world and "you should be so lucky" to go and dance with them. In fact, they were the ones asking us to dance and somewhat competing with each other to dance with us. It was like the roles were reversed and it was so much fun.
The beaches in Pattaya are pretty nice. However, they aren't as relaxing as I thought they should be. For the most part, we were asked if we wanted to buy something or get a massage or a tattoo every few minutes. It wasn't that big of a deal, but they could have been a little less attentive to us. Then again, they were definitely quick with the beers and made sure we were comfortable. This type of service on the beach is desperately needed in the States. The only place I've seen people selling things on the beach is at Jones Beach in New York where the meat head, guido, itals stroll up and down yelling, "frozen fruit bars! chipwiches!" in their deepest Brooklyn / Italian
Dragon SnakeDragon SnakeDragon Snake

The entrance to a buddhist religious site. The 7 headed dragon snake resembled some of the architecture I saw in Cambodia.
accents.
Much of my time spent in Pattaya is somewhat of a blur, but it is a place I will never forget. Thankfully, I had my cousin there to take good care of me. His condo on the beach was just amazing and the food we ate throughout our stay was the best. Thanks John!
From Pattaya, John and I headed back to Bangkok to catch our flights. I was heading down south to Phuket, while John was heading back to the States. I would have loved it if he joined me in Patong, a beach city on Phuket Island that was severely damaged by the tsunami. It was my next destination and one step closer to Koh Phi Phi.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Mark the BuddhistMark the Buddhist
Mark the Buddhist

Doing my best impression of the buddha.
BuddhaBuddha
Buddha

This big one was surrounded by about 12 other buddha statues. Each one represented the time of year when your birthday was.
PattayaPattaya
Pattaya

Yours truly overlooking Pattaya Bay.
PattayaPattaya
Pattaya

Hangin' with the little police man.
Pattaya BowlingPattaya Bowling
Pattaya Bowling

Taking the PBA on tour to Thailand.
Pattaya BowlingPattaya Bowling
Pattaya Bowling

It is hard to tell from this picture, but the floor boards were horrendous. One side was slick, the other bone dry. This made it quite difficult for me to hit my usual average of 200. =)
Lucifer DiscoLucifer Disco
Lucifer Disco

Wall to wall thai girls in this club. Ratio was 20:1, girls to guys and we had the best time here.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb