The adventures of chris and estelle


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
September 4th 2008
Published: September 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

21 Aug

Hopped onto the ferry to koh tao to meet up with Chris at scuba shack. we went for dinner after his diving, and then went to Eazy Bar overlooking the beach. we had a great night, partaking of G&T's and pina coladas and a few J's which can be purchased at the bar. they have a big swing on the beach in front of the bar and we played on that a bit! and watched the best fire performers i have seen yet! as good as oggie even! staff and poi and both together and woweee stuff. i was really enjoying that and we had a pretty late night.

so the next day - we woke up too late to check out, i think it was around 4pm!! so we stayed another day and had a great fish bbq and then went to eazy bar again. again, the inevitable happened and we again missed check out and our ferry.

23rd, went out on the bike for brekkie at a restaurant with a view! and then we chilled on the beach a bit, and then - you guessed it - eazy bar. well we set our alarm and did our best to try and get up in time!

24th - YAAY - we made it to the ferry! as it happens the ferry stops on koh phangan where we had to change for the other boat to Surrathani, so when we got off the boat one of the touts informed us that it was the night of Half Moon Party. i felt another delay coming on. i looked at chris and mentioned that it was a good party and we should stay one night at chokana and get the ferry the next day, i could also catch up with christel and wish her happy birthday as i had forgotten while i was on koh tao, and it would be nice to give her a card and pressie. so thats wot we did. we popped to our bike hire shop, nabbed a bike for a day and rode to chokana where See (lady that owns chokana) as always, gave us a lovely bungalow at a top discount. she is brill. so we settled in and i drove us to thong sala and then up the island to the north, we went to koh ma at mae haad
Catja and JimCatja and JimCatja and Jim

jeni's bar, koh phangan
and had a dip there. on our way back chris spotted a frisbee all on its lonesome and pointed this out to me in a very insinuating manner. i therefore gave the frisbee a home out of my own kind heart and we adopted it for ourselves vowing to give it a good home and lots of exercise. so, as chris is a lazy biker i drove us then to malibu beach in chaloklum and we gave the frisbee a try out. it proved very satisfactory and we played a good old game of dive in the sand and throw in the sea frisbee.

then back to chokana to get ready for the party. we drove the bike to half moon and went in, i found bernie (christels friend) dancing, also T and Bim and Roo and Jumunjy lot and various other koh phangan people, we drank lots and danced and then i lost Chris somewhere along the line, talked to some random irish people, and decided i was gonna go home around 4am (i think), i thought i would walk home as i didnt have the bike key, which was a very good job i may add, so i walked most of the way (about 45 mins) and then a nice greek man gave me a lift on his bike the rest of the way, he was with another couple on 2 bikes and they saw me walking on my own, very kind. i told a lot of taxi drivers to feck off as they kept asking for ridiculous fares which i refuse to pay. i would rather eat my own liver than get ripped off by those charlatans. chris got home a few hours later (i think) and all was well.

25 Aug

Except we slept in due to our late night and missed another ferry. actually i think the alarm woke us or something with half hour to spare, but it wasn't happening, so we had to spend another night on phangan! we stayed at chokana again that night, we played frisbee and went to Memo and saw Shrimp (Goong) and Gicki and did some internet stuff, and later went to coco for food and drinks. we met up with sheena and ash and AD again and drank gin and tonics at coco! later on we met a couple called Catja and Jim at a pizza place in thong sala, they sat at our table and we all ended up going to Jeni's girly bar for drinks as it was the only place open late. We played pool against 3 local blokes, who cheated like buggery, they were terrible! anyhow, we had a lot of fun, jim was the great comeback kid after having 7 balls on the table and then he won against the cheating thai! it was ace. i danced and talked to kim, one of the bar girls who i knew from the other night we were there with AD and co.

26 Aug

we successfully got up and packed and took the bike back and were at the ferry for our 4pm ferry. however, they wouldnt let us get on as our tickets were for the 12.30 ferry! so we had to stay another night! not a problem, we went to jumunjy and played some pool, then decided to watch a film in the jumunjy cinema, we went in with david and some others, and then christel and her 2 danish friends joined us too. we watched a film then went back to the bar. Chris met some guys who he went to haad rin with for the night and i stayed at jumunjy. We were booked in at Jumunjy guest house that night so i went to bed and chris turned up at some ungodly hour. i've finally met my match. altho, i still think i do better.

27th Aug

we saw sheena at vantana for breakfast before getting the ferry. had a sausage and egg sanga and then we actually made it on to the ferry. jeepers. so we got to surrathani and then had a 9 hour wait for the overnight train to the border at Sungai Kolok. We had a decent kip on the train and got a couple of motor bike taxi's to the border and walked across. (the border closed a few days later due to the coup in bangkok - we were lucky!). We then got a bus to Kota Bahru and a taxi from there (ripped us off to the tune of 60 ringitt the git, shoulda been 20!) to Kuala Besut, By the time we got to Kuala Besut we were too late to get the ferry to the island so we booked into Nan's hotel and stayed a night there. it was quite nice in KB, it was very much a local town, not really a tourist place except for those passing through, so we ate at a local restaurant and then went on a mission to find somewhere we could buy beer as its a muslim area and doesn't sell alcohol. we found a place and then played chris's 'barcode' drinking game. well it did the trick, we wandered about a bit and found a kids playground where we played on the swings and did an obstacle course. hmmm. well, it was fun anyway.

28th

yeehar, we got the 9am ferry and actually arrived on pulau kecil, Long Beach. We checked in at Bintang View bungalows for 50 ringers a night which carol and ricardito recommended, and hit the beach, played frisbee, had dinner at Panorama and had drinks in the evening at Buffalo Bar.

Forgot to mention, i saw a guy with a hat that i had seen at bottle beach, and mentioned i had seen him before, to chris, that was as good as an introduction so he started to talk to him, his name was Kein, (key-in!) but dunno
oin, me and johnoin, me and johnoin, me and john

the morning after the night we started partying. it continued.....
how to spell it! anyway, we had a gab and he was 19 and travelling with his mates, so we sort of drank a bit with them too.

29th

Played all day on the beach, and walked to Coral Bay in the evening to meet some italians chris knew, think he met them diving, and we played cards then they went to bed and we walked back to our side of the island. i arranged to meet them for a snorkelling trip the next day, but we ended up going to the buffalo bar after we walked back and had a really late night!

30th

Slept in and missed the snorkelling trip, chris missed his first dive too but made an afternoon one. Beach all day again, then we ate at panorama and went to the beach bars. Chris went to Bellends Bar and i went to buffalo and sat down on a table with a couple of guys, ian and andy, and therefore we became drinking buddies for the evening! we drank beers and i went back to their place at panorama, we all crashed out and fell asleep at sometime late!

31st and 1st sept

Beach games again, frisbee and stuff! Then went to beach bars in the evening after dinner. met up with john and some others from matahari divers, we had a brilliant night and danced around. It had been Oin's Dive master snorkel test, its a thing where when you get qualified as a dive master you have to do a snorkel drinking thing! you get loads of alcohol thrown down your snorkel and you have to drink it and answer silly questions. its very funny. anyway, i didnt see oin's test but met them after, we had a great night. everyone eventually went to bed except me, john and Mee (local guy who works at matahari bungalows), mee had a guitar and we sat round by the sea and sang songs and drank monkey juice (a local whiskey type brew with a pic of an orang utan on the label), so anyway, it was loads a fun, then ruth joined us, she had been skinny dipping in the sea and someone had robbed her bag and clothes, so she was dressed in somebodys t shirt and a bit naffed off cus her passport was in the bag too. so she had some more monkey juice and passed out. we continued to sing along.

oh yeah, forgot to mention, kein was partying with us, but was meant to get the 7am ferry as he had to travel and get his flight home to ireland, well, 7am came and we persuaded him to get the 12.00 ferry instead as that would work, and he could stay on the beach another couple of hours. so, he did, then he went off to get packed and get off, so we all said goodbye.

the sun came up. we went to the bar (safety stop) and then oin came back (had been to bed) and he bought loads of vodka, monkey juice and mixers - so ........... we started again! it was hilarious, oin caught up with us in a very short space of time and before long me, john, mee and oin were dancing around like loonies while people were starting to come onto the beach to sunbathe. i went to bintang to get my camera and wake chris and tell him to come down as the party (us) was still going! so he joined us and we all had a brilliant laugh on the beach, in the sea and dancing to oins dj skills. we were a bit loud and i think the whole beach was a bit in awe! at one point john and mee went running into the sea naked while i took photos and then we did a band thing, it's hard to explain, if i can get the vids uploaded i will!

so at some point in the afternoon, Kein came along looking VERY naffed off - he had fell asleep and missed the 12.00 ferry! and therefore his flight! he had to book another flight home (expensive!) and his parents had to put money into his account to cover it. oh dear, nightmare. that's monkey juice for you.

so we continued our little party, others came and went but we were there, the legends of the day, and we carried on til about 5pm, i thought i'd better get some food and sleep as it was john and claires (his girlfriend) last night that night, they have been there all season and were leaving for bali, so we had to come back for more shenanigans to mark their last night. We re-convened the party that evening and altho were not as lively as the previous night on about 2 hours sleep each! we did manage to have a good evening again!

2nd

We saw off john and claire, very very sad as i had probably one of the very best times of my whole trip during that beach party! john was just brilliant and claire was lovely, wish we were traveling with them!

so then played frisbee in the sea with chris, ian, andy and dan, after a while we played with 2 frisbees and i didnt see one coming and it smacked me straight on the nose! well, it was bloody hard and i had a bit of a nosebleed and took time out to sit and recuperate my injury in the name of sport. its still sore a week later!
we had our last night at bintang.

3rd

we moved into matahari divers staff accommodation, a cheap room, as chris did his emergency and rescue diving thing there. we did the usual beach bar thing and danced and talked to loads of people.

4th

went to dinner with maxine, jeng (matahari owner) and chris at matahari restaurant. then me and maxine and chris went to bellend bar and danced and drank til 3am.

5th,

need to get off to bali to meet michelle and rob, so i got the fast boat at 4pm with maxine to KL. we got the night bus to kl but it was delayed and we had to wait for hours, we were having a 'picnic' in the rain - the only westerners in jerteh! and a perv came up and started leering at us and rubbing his willy, maxine was trying to politely ignore it so i turned round and flipped a middle finger in his face and told him to Eff off. that did the trick and he went straight away. anyway we eventually got on our way and arrived in kl in the morning. back to oasis! they recognised me haha, i have my own bed there now! well, anyway, chris is gonna meet me here so will be here a few days now til he catches me up.
me and maxine shared a room at oasis and went out in KL. Ruth (who's bag got stolen on the beach) is here too, she has got a new passport and all sorted out, so we met up with her and her friends for a drink around bukit bintang area. was a really nice evening, and we left around 1.45am to go back to oasis.

6th

woke around 10am, maxine was packing, she is leaving today, i went with her to the station after we did a bit of shopping, and saw her off around 2pm. i will miss her now, im on my own til chris gets here but there's plenty of people in the guesthouse so i will go and talk to them!

(next day!)

so i went back to oasis and it was about 10pm. there was a dvd on and so i watched it with some people. got talking to claudia, paul and kevin, they were really nice, claudia has been to a de-tox place on phangan that i really fancy trying. anyway, after the dvd and a bit of gabbing, their friend smith and another guy, and nick and bob (another 2) and a finnish guy, claudia and kev and me all played Yanif, a game of cards, we had to use 2 packs cus there was so many of us but it was another good game ive learned. at 2am ish there was only me, smith and wotsisname left playing so we played shithead! we played til about 3am and that was the end of me getting an early night!




Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 33


Advertisement



7th September 2008

Jared
Love the Jared photo cant believe you met him hahahah did you tell him about bottle beach? hahahaha PARTY ON DUDE!!!!!! xxxxxxxx
8th September 2008

i know - how funny is that! i told him we saw him at BB but didnt say anything else! someone nicked his hat!!!! he was GUTTED!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb