Save the best Island till last......


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
February 17th 2008
Published: February 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hubbly bubbly....Hubbly bubbly....Hubbly bubbly....

Having a quick toke.......mmmm......apple......
After arriving on our boat to the Island we soon realised we weren't at the port Greg had planned on. This resulted in a 200b taxi ride along the coast to where were supposed to be staying. Wondering if we were going to have to get out and push our taxi, as the 'hill's were nothing like we'd ever seen before, pretty much vertical inclines... Got dropped off in the town of Haad Rin, we then had to get to our resort, which yet again wasn't in the middle of town, we had two options 1. to follow the vaguest of directions in the afternoon heat with our houses on (which are getting heavier everytime) or 2. getting a water boat taxi. We have no shame in admitting we chose the boat. What started off as a tranquil jolly soon turned into a wave leaping white knuckle ride, both fearing we were going to fall in. Due to the rough sea we were dropped off at some random pier, but assured by our driver/captain that is was just around the corner hmmmmmmm.......It was or at least something was, so Greg bowls into the first building he sees, while Katy hangs bang
Bucket.....Bucket.....Bucket.....

Lethal drink.......
genuinely thinking he'd just walked into someones house. This time they actually knew who we were -Yay! 72 (yes Greg did count them) steps later we were shown into cliff side bungalow. This was what we thought Thailand was going to be, hammock over our own private decking surrounded by banana trees, with panoramic views over the sea. Our photos will not do it justice, but trust us when we say it totally ROCKED!!!

As always our hunger led the way and we navigated into town, firstly having to negotiate a vertical hill truly wishing we had a stenner stairlift. The town was a bit of culture shock -there were no street vendors, no one asking if you wanted a suit/tuk tuk/taxi/wooden frog etc. It had major similarities to Kavos or any Greek Island, lots of restaurants and people trying to get you in them! Food was still awesome though.

We're going to go out on a limb here and say our beach was probably better than Phi Phi or infact any beach either of us had ever been on. The water was warm and calm, the sand was super soft which worked out well as we spent more than a few hours chilling on it. After a hectic day we thought we were due a massage - overlooking the beach of course...

Fancying a bit of English culture in our evening we found a restaurant that was playing our all time favourite film 'Snatch'. Katy getting really in the swing of it ordered a chicken burger, chips and beer (dont judge it was awesome). Wandering down a side street we landed on a very lively beach with Greg proclaiming " this is where the parties at" followed by the campest dance routine you have ever seen. A couple of buckets later and Greg tooting on an apple contraption we were mingling with everyone, namely Stefan Bang Bang from Sweden and Yas from France. The rest of the evening went by in a bit of a haze.....
Needless to say we woke up the following afternoon, the morning was clearly not an option, and spent the whole day stewing in our own juices, it was so not pretty. And the worst thing was we missed a half moon party!!!

The next day still feeling ropey but also like we had to do something we settled on the non strenuous task of shopping. Coming away with a dress, speakers, vests, sarongs, Gregs special little key ring and our trip back to Bangkok. - no presents as of yet.... Chilled on the beach for the rest of the day... oh yeah...

Having booked our way back to Bangkok to check out Cambodia, we realised we were actually sad to be leaving, we will both definitly be coming back here.

xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0739s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb