Amazing race, family edition: Samui to Lanta


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
April 19th 2012
Published: April 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

"....on the next leg of the race, families must leave their hotel before it is even light, and make their way by high speed ferry from Koh Samui to the mainland of Thailand at Surathani. They must then take 2 poorly ventilated buses across the mainland to Krabi. En route, the youngest member of the party must find at least one roadside toilet necessitating the bus to stop. When they reach Krabi, they must find THIS man, who will eventually call a minivan to take them on 2 ferries to the Island of Lanta. This will be the pitstop for this leg of the race. The last team to arrive here may be eliminated from the race". It DId feel a little like this...a very long hot travelling day, but we did arrive here on Koh Lanta without major delay on the 17th.

We are staying at the Crown Lanta that I booked over the internet from home for only $75 per night, and it is beautiful! The rooms are clean, but not fancy, but the grounds are incredible, built half way up a hillside, with 2 gorgeous pools, one outside our room and one up the hillside. Our first full day here we just lounged on the little beach and by the pool.....oops! Not enough sun block, and now all a little toasted! The hotel made Katie a little cake for her 7th birthday, so she was thrilled.

Today we headed out on a boat excursion to Koh Phi Phi, about an hour away by ferry. A long-tail boat then cruised us all around the two Phi Phi's (there are two: developed Koh Phi Phi Don, and uninhabited Koh Phi Phi Le) several great snorkeling spots and fed us lunch at Maya bay. This is where the film The Beach (with Dicaprio) was made....absolutely stunning, and just amazing to be there with only our family, 10 speed boats, 20 other longtail boats and just 500 or so other people! Seriously, I don't think you could have fit another sandwich on that beach today!

We were pretty toasted by the time we arrived back here, crunchy and salty (and dont get me started on my hair!). Another day here, then back to Bangkok.....and home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Maya bay, Koh Phi PhiMaya bay, Koh Phi Phi
Maya bay, Koh Phi Phi

Careful cropping of photo...you can't really tell that there are 500 other people on this little beach


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb