Junior team Canada ball hockey in Lovely historic Plsen


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Plzen Region » Plzen
June 14th 2012
Published: June 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Junior team canada mascotJunior team canada mascotJunior team canada mascot

Junior team canada mascot "gnomeo" on the away bench at Plsen training camp
I am travelling now with junior Team Canada mens ball hockey teams (under 18s) at training camp formthe worlds in Plsen (pilsen) Czech Republic. Its barely stopped raining since we got here, but had a little reprieve this afternoon. Luckily umbrella are about 29 Crowns (?$1.50) and I am from Vancouver, and very used to "high humidity". On the down side, my new hair straightener that I bought after frying my last one in Bangkok, doesnt even work at all here. All good! I bought a Czech one for what I think was $10 and it seems to work fine!

The team is staying at Hotel Angelo, about 10 minute walk to the historic center. Great restaurant here, and the rooms are very cleam and comfortable. what is it about European hotel rooms? No plugs within 10 feet of a mirror! clearly designed by a man with no hair issues!

Plsen is a lovely place...transport is fast, clean and easy to use on the tram. The beer is brewed here and available for almost free at every corner pub. we will be taking a brewery tour and having a meal at Na Splice on the brewery grounds in a
Central square, Plsen, CzechCentral square, Plsen, CzechCentral square, Plsen, Czech

Lucky to hit a folkfest/medieval fair at the central square in historic Plsen central district
few days so will report back on that later. Don't be fooled by the outskirts of Plsen...I'm told that all the towns in Czech look post-apocalyptic industrial on the edges (and some in the middle too!) but here the town is all cornices and plaster bas relief and lovely ice-cream coloured buildings. No problems at all with finding a decent meal everywhere we turn, and the bakeries! I have to keep walking so I don't roll home at 200lbs.

Advertisement



16th June 2012

Glad to hear from you!
I have been thinking aout you and wondering how you were doing! Looking forward to tea ad scrabble poolside one day soon!!!
22nd June 2012

Hey back at ya!
We are in the medal rounds now...lotsa games and feeling hot and sticky and tired. Hard to believe only 2 more days to go....will be home late sunday eve. C U soon!

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb