Ko Lanta Lazy Days


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
May 16th 2006
Published: May 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sunset in Ko LantaSunset in Ko LantaSunset in Ko Lanta

We had dinner while watching this on the first night. pretty spectactular
We learned the hard way really not to trust the travel agencies here...

Before leaving Phi Phi, we booked a bungalow at a resort in Ko Lanta based on a brochure and the "nice" woman. She said we were getting a low season deal. When we arrived we discovered a run down room and that we could've paid much less than we did. The price we paid for trying to do something "planned"! Kind of a bummer, but oh well.

I was still in recovery mode so wee just chilled for a few days. Our resort has a small pool and was connected to one other place with a decent restaurant. Our beach was too rocky to do any swimming...another lie from the agent...

Ko Lanta is definitely in the low season with few tourists and very quiet.

We did have some beautiful sunsets in the evening, and we avoided the rain, though some big clouds lingered nearby. My fav. spot was sitting in the cabana chairs reading with a fruit shake in hand while Dan wandered on the beach, collecting shards of glass (53 in a 30meter stretch). For such a beautiful country its kind of depressing at how much rubbish lies everywhere and no one seems to care, they just let it go...

We rented a motorbike one day to cruise around the island. Dan now thinks he's Evil-Kenevil 😊 We went south along the coast (mainly little resorts with a small village of cafes and homes in between), then to the main village in the north. We really got a taste of how the locals live--little tiny shack homes (for most, a few fancy homes though), food stands lining the streets, everything just so exposed to the dust and elements in the heat of the day.

Everyone rides a bike here, including the 1 and 2 year olds sitting between their parent's knees and no helmets! Dan thinks Brittany Spears would love it here (sorry, it had to be noted)

One night a Thai family came to stay at our place, and I think it was a major "holiday" for them. As I was taking photos of a sunset I turned around to them snapping shots of me! Then they asked if I would pose with them...it was quite funny. (I almost felt like Brittany).

In the end, Ko Lanta
Our pool at Lanta New Beach ResortOur pool at Lanta New Beach ResortOur pool at Lanta New Beach Resort

The one good thing about this place...
was very laid back and relaxing, but if you know Dan and I, we don't like to sit around too much... we were a little bored (I think Dan wore a ring around the pool from all of his trips to/from the restaurant, loo, and our room 😊
--Wigleys, you can just imagine!--

We got to Ko Pha Ngan, an island on the eastern coast of Thailand now. Our adventure getting here is a long story...save that for the next blog! Let's just say there were several faces coming from Dan the entire day, including the Ollie pout.

Oh, and I'm finally feeling nearly up to speed again, pouring water and salt into my system to recover...thanks doctor Sus!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The main street of "town"The main street of "town"
The main street of "town"

This is where the boat gets in. Lots of little restaurants and market-like shops, though half of them are closed now for the low season.


17th May 2006

Wow!
Hi guys! The sunsets look amazing and I'm sure you are enjoying every moment of your adventure (well, almost!). I LOVE reading your stories and seeing your pictures.....keep them coming! Glad you are feeling better Heidi. Good luck, keep traveling safe. Love ya! Katie
17th May 2006

Heid and Dan: Everything looks amazing and the motorbike is a very cool idea. (Can I still use the word cool without sounding like an idiot?) H, I hope you're feeling better and I'll email you some news. M

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb