To Khao Sok (it all turns sour!)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Khao Sok NP
February 17th 2007
Published: February 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

From Kanchanaburi we got the mini bus (with Fiona on board!) back to Bangkok then the VIP bus to Khao Sok. This section of our trip has to be the most disappointing we have had so far.
To cut a long story short our bags were completely ransacked on the bus, (whilst they were in the downstairs luggage compartment) even locked cases. Unfortunately we didn’t realise this until we arrived in Khao Sok which is a National Park 2hrs from the nearest town. We then had all the drivers from the guesthouses, crowded at the entrance trying to charge us stupid amounts of money to drive us up to the guesthouses, especially when they found out that we had already booked ours (which unfortunately for us did not have a van and driver there!)
Stubborn as we are we decided to walk but then a guy offered us a lift so that was OK.
We go to our guesthouse which was basic, although the room had a fantastic view so was worth it! Unfortunately we wasted our first afternoon trying to contact the police and insurance company and the staff at the guesthouse weren’t exactly helpful.
Next morning we took a
Rafflesia KerriiRafflesia KerriiRafflesia Kerrii

Diameter of about 80cm for all you flower Buffs out there
2hr trek to see the world’s 2nd largest flower which was impressive. On the whole though we did not find Khao Sok that impressive, more of a normal forest than a jungle one, so we were disappointed.
Needing to get things sorted we decided to move on and walked the 15mins. to the bus stop and just made it before the bus turned up (our luck was changing hooray!)



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Us and the Rafflesia KerriiUs and the Rafflesia Kerrii
Us and the Rafflesia Kerrii

And Sven's new shirt colour after a 1 ½ hour trek uphill to see this flower.
Kersten and the BambooKersten and the Bamboo
Kersten and the Bamboo

I wonder if there are any snakes round here??
The JungleThe Jungle
The Jungle

We had to walk an hour to take this picture..


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb