Day 12- Khao Lak


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Khao Lak
January 6th 2008
Published: January 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ponheary picks us up for the hotel at 8:30. She's sad, Lori has left yesterday to fly home for a couple months, and it was especially hard for her. She's also concerned about Fifi- he's still pretty sick and the recovery he had yesterday was short-lived. She tells us next time we come we should stay two weeks, and help out at the schools...then we'll all go to southern Cambodia where's there's good scuba diving!

Said our goodbyes, gave Ponheary some more money for medicine or whatever she needs, then wait for the plane. This time we get an airline called Edelweiss...Can Cambodians YODEL ??? Got to Bangkok at 10:30, and waited about an hour for our flight to Phuket. And waited.......and of course it's over an hour late. And the plane looks like a DUCK...Nok Air, I believe.

We had arranged for a driver to pick us up before we left the States, but I had not been able to reach the hotel to verify he was coming, so we were a little concerned. Not to worry, once we got there he was waiting with a sign. Got in the car and...total gridlock. The Phuket Airport was slammed. It took us about 45 minutes just to get out of the parking lot. Khao Lak is about an hour and a half from Phuket. We planned to stay there because we are going to be scuba diving the Similans, and it's the closest to them.

As usual, we're treated to a bizarre array of music on the CD. It always fascinates me what foreigners think Americans would want to listen to. This time we get a real conglomeration...Johnny Cash, Elton John, Whitney Houston, Elvis and Mariah Carey...all on the same CD!

Finally arrive at the hotel...only it isn't the one we're staying at! Apparently the driver was told we were staying at the Similana Resort, and we've overshot by about 10 kilometers! So, back in the car we go to our REAL destination, the Gerd-Noi Bungalows.

We're in a small two-story bungalow right on the beach, and lucky for me...right in front of the massage area! Just might have to take advantage one of these days...

As we get out of the car we run into a couple with two small children from California who were on the plane, turns out they're in the very next Bungalow! And even more of a coincidence...they were with tong right after we were! Small world...

The place is somewhat rustic but nice, and the restaurant's food is VERY good. It has, however, the hardest beds I have ever slept on in my life! We have some dinner, grab a quick swim in the pool and a beer or two and off to bed. Did I mention it's about 8:30???


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb