Day 11- Last full day in Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Tonlé Sap
January 5th 2008
Published: January 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 11- Our last full Day in Cambodia

Ponheary picks us up at 8:30, and we head to Tonle Sap Lake. She tells us she's tired today, Fifi was up sick with a fever all night. The water hasn't dried up yet, Poheary says she thinks it will take another couple weeks. We clamber aboard our boat (and NO- I did not fall out!) paid our $11 each and we're off. We pass a few schools along the way- Ponheary says they've been paid for by the Korean Government. One is basically a floating basketball court...must frustrate Ponheary immensely. Some of the boat/houses are pretty, even if they are ramshackled. They have flowers growing in the front, and once agin though they are very poor, all I see are smiling faces.

We arrive at a floating restaurant/souvenir shop, and we get out. There are alligators below in an enclosure, and a pig nearby as well. Hopefully it's not lunch for the gators...there are children everywhere begging for money. One child has a boa constrictor draped around her as her mother sits next to her in a boat rocking a baby and yelling at her daughter when she forgets about trying to beg for money for a minute to play. The little girl is about 3, and people are snapping pictures non-stop while she asks for a dollar every time they take a picture. It made me angry and sad, and I felt bad for the boa! Ponheary says their Vietnamese...there are many families out there. Some sell fruits and such, but a lot of them just put their kids out there to beg.

Ponheary takes us to a map and explains how big the lake gets during rainy season. It's quite amazing, and the fact that the water changes direction depending on the time of year is fascinating.

After we left the lake we went to Artisans D'Angkor. The items there are beautiful, but pricey. My bag is already SO full of souvenirs, but I can't resist and I opt for a lovely orange long silk scarf and we're done.

Back to the hotel for a rest, then off to lunch and the Center Market. I bought a few t-shirts (3/$5) a wooden elephant for my father-in-law and a necklace for my mother-in-law. This afternoon we're going on the air balloon ride.

Ponheary picks us up at 4, and we head to the hot air balloon, Fifi is with her, and seems to be feeling a little better. He's fascinated by the helicopters which take off at the same location as the balloon. $55 for a 7 minute ride...YIKES! Up we go in the ballon, with Ponheary and Fifi with us at the last minute. (he really wanted to go...) Ponheary tells us they diidn't want to sell her a ticket...they told her it was only for tourists! She said she told them if it weren't for guides like her they wouldn't HAVE people coming there! The view of the temple is really cool from above, though it would have been even better had there not been green tarps covering parts of it! Ongoing restoration,...I understand.

We're off to the Old Market. I am in search of a last couple gifts, and Ponheary helps me find a stall that sells masks and the couple other things I need. Done for the day, so we head back to the hotel to clean up, pack up, and head downtown for our last evening in Cambodia.

All in all I think we enjoyed this part of the trip best. The pace was slower, and to say the least it was a much more emotional experience. We both said we would love to come back again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb