life as a teacher!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Chumphon
July 24th 2007
Published: July 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

hello!!
2nd blog...lots to update you on since last time!!
we left bangkok on sunday morning (up at 6 oclock - rank!!) and got the train down to chumphon which took 6 hours...it had reclining seats and airconditioning...in other words the seats kinda moved a bit and there were a couple of fans on the ceiling!! but it was an experience i guess!!
we then got to our guesthouse which is called mali blues where all the i-to-i volunteers stay - elspeth, kelly and julie were already here so we all arrived (me, chelsea, kia, jo and david) and were allocated rooms...very basic, but they do the job!! a fan on the ceiling, 2 mattresses on the floor a shower head that just hangs over the floor and cold water!!! i got my mozzy net up and my bed looks like a little boudoir!! so far not been bitten too badly...there are lots of sand flies at the beach which bite but ive been ok...the other girls havent been so lucky!!
yesterday (monday) we went to our schools and got shown round and then we started properly today!! my school is called Baan Neam Samli school and im gonna be teaching grade 2 and 5 on my own and 3 and 4 with kia. had grade 5 first today and i honestly wanted to kill myself after it...they are little devils!! i was trying to get them to write stuff down and they all together shouted "NOOOOOO" so i reckon thats gonna be a bit of challenge!!! the grade 2s were lovely though, and better behaved!! it's difficult coz none of the teachers speak english so its hard to know what to teach the kids coz theres no books or anything! it'll be interesting thats for sure!! a good rendition of the hokey kokey or heads, shoulders knees and toes goes down a treat!! plus the lunch was rank...we were given some sort of condensed orange milk stuff out a tin with ice which looked a bit like sickness, some rice, and there were a few dishes to choose from, but having eaten rice for the past 4 days or so for lunch and dinner iom getting a bit sick of it!!!
we went to a mental thai club last night in chumpon called Papa's with all the volunteers and a couple of the thai guys that help run the i-to-i stuff...oh good god that was an experience!! bear in mind i was teaching today and was picked up at half 8...well we were in this club til 2 drinking some crazy thai rum!! they had a band on the stage when we got there and several different singers......then the crowds started coming in which included several lady boys, and they weren't pretty ones - they were big fat men, with wigs and skirts on - horrific!!! AND they thought they could use the girls toilets...it's like "eh.. just coz you've got a flower in your hair doesn't mean you can use the girls toilets love"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it was good fun though...glad we went but was so knackered today!!!
the weathers not been great...we had a thunder storm yesterday morning and the heavens opened and its been cloudy today too, but still very warm...oh thats another thing, the school has no kind of air conditioning whatsoever so very very sweaty teacher over here!! oh and the toilets are holes in the floor so i had to take my trousers and my pants off to do the toilet coz i was so scared id pee on myself!!!!!!!! lovely thought i know but thought is share it anyway!!!
planning to go to koh tao this weekend with jo kia chelsea and julie - we get fridays off so we'll get the boat on friday morning and come back sunday night!! really looking forward to the weekends - so much fun stuff to do!!! where we stay is a bit quiet so it'll be good to get away from here and party party!!!
I'm going for a nap now...finished school at half 1 and the weathers not so great so think a wee nap is in order!!!
shall blog you all again soon...love love love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb