Chumphon to Ko Tao


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Chumphon
January 15th 2007
Published: January 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A deserted breakfast room (other than two Germans, who departed soon after we arrived). Nerve jerking strong coffee with some good eggs and toast. Spent a nervous half our in reception waiting for our transfer to the ferry jetty. It arrived just as I was asking the receptionist to phone the ferry company. We jumped aboard a pick up and in scorching weather drove what seemed far more than the anticipated 10km to the ferry port. With many other backpackers we strolled with heavy backpacks out on the beautiful but fragile wooden pier to the modern catamaran for our ferry crossing to Ko Tao. It was quite luxurious on board. Surprisingly for such a modest mannered country, a violent movie was being shown with some relatively explicit sex scenes. One and a half hours later we disembarked on Ko Tao and caught a pick-up taxi about 3km to our resort of Tropicana. It consists of several shaded bungalows in a garden perpendicular to the sea. Our bungalow is about 30m from the sea and we can hear and see the waves lapping. The bungalow is small,clean and simple with a balcony with two chairs outside. The main room has a bed, table, chair and a fan. There is a bathroom with toilet and shower (no flushing of papers - bin provided). It is clean and functional. The reception is directly opposite our room (No 4), which is good for security. The restaurant, which overlooks the bay, is four strides from our balcony. The staff are young and keen to please. The bay is beautiful with turquoise seas and bounded by steep headlands on either side. It is very shallow and too murky for snorkelling, but very pleasant just for relaxing and swimming. The beach virtually disappears at high tide. The development is along most of the beach but very low rise, relaxed and restrained. There are ATM’s and a 7-11 shop for provisions. Some of the bars shut surprisingly early at 9 or 10 but there are later alternatives. A large Singha beer (630 ml) is about 80 baht in restaurants (65 baht in shop). We went for the easy option of eating in the resort bar, but this proved a good choice as the Thai food was cheap and excellent. (Meal plus beers each for two about £5 total). This island is incredibly laid back. Most people come here to dive - but it’s a great place for just hanging about on the beach.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0894s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb