Goodbye Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 14th 2007
Published: January 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Up early for 6:30 am breakfast as we were told to get to railway station 20 minutes before our scheduled departure of 8:05.

Heat full on even at this early hour. Surprised when train pulled in to find that it was just two carriages (like that used on the Norwich Sheringham line) rather than the many coach express I had expected. The assigned seats were comfy but there were only fans in the carriage rather than the air conditioning indicated (and paid for) on our tickets. It was a nice surprise to find that coffee was supplied free (on one occasion) and also a packaged meal (although as it was meaty I eat only the sticky rice). The scenery is lush and tropical with the occasional granite? outcrop suddenly rising abruptly from the plain. The train slowly fell behind schedule (for no particularly noticeable reason). There were stops at unscheduled stations which caused some concern as we neared our stop as we couldn’t understand the conductress who announced the stops and needed time to get our heavy rucksacks together. However things went smoothly and we got off as planned at Chumphon. We strolled the short distance from the station to the hotel. The hotel was a bit in need of an overhaul and decoration . I was amused as the extremely thin ad worn carpet bunched under the porters feet. However, the room was simple and clean and thankfully the air conditioning worked well.

The town is relaxing after the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. The people seem friendly and the café at which we had tea was pleasant. There seem to be many backpackers passing through . Travel agencies booking abound.

There’s even a small department store with a grocery section that was fun to wander around.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1148s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb