Ao Nang ....... Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ao Nang
January 25th 2011
Published: January 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We arrived in Ao Nang Krabi on the west coast looking forward to our first taste of Thailand. Ao nang is a holiday resort located in Krabi and is very popular with central Europeans. We managed to get accomodation pretty easy considering it was getting close to Christmas, staying in a really nice hotel with all our creature comforts, even better we had a balcony with an amazing view looking out onto the perfectly looked after gardens and further out the sea.

Our stay at the hotel was made better by Jennie a Thai member of staff from our hotel and a shifty wee character with a little twitch that made her wink everytime she spoke and said that any trips that we fancied we could go to her for "cheap cheap discount" shifty but so funny. We arranged a trip to go kayaking around the bay and through a mangrove forest. Jennie sorted the trip for us 100 bhat cheaper than it was advertised though we later found out that she had got even more discount than she had let on which made us smile. The Kayaking was great fun though unfortunately we forgot to bring the camera so we got no pictures.We did see a load of Spider Crabs and a giant Water Monitor Lizard which is the second largest reptile in the world behind the Komodo Dragon.

One of the highlights of Ao Nang was Gok's stall. Gok was a Thai who sold drink from a stall on the street. He placed stools round his stall and everyone sat and drank. It was great craic and a good way to meet people.Needless to say we had a few drunken nights and incountered our first Ladyboys much to Michelles' amusement. I was pounced on me a few times and hussled me out of a few games of pool.

The beach at Ao Nang was nice and what you would imagine of Thailand. Monkeys would come down from the forest and try and pilfer peoples bags for any food they could grab which was great to watch. However a 5 minute boat ride away where the beaches of Railey, Ton Sai & Penang which are unreal and alot more unspoilt. Penang being our favourite. It was surrounded by shear cliffs full of deep caves. In one of the caves there was a shrine to the spirit of fertility was obviously nicknamed.......Cock Cave.

After 10 days in Ao Nang the adventures continued to one of the things we had been looking forward to most when planning our trip......spending Christmas on Phi Phi Island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Carl and ChrisCarl and Chris
Carl and Chris

one of the guys we had met


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb