First taste of Paradise


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Langkawi
January 7th 2011
Published: January 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Apologies for the length of time it has taken to get our blog updated. We'll not lie it is mainly due to a mixture of being hungover and lying on the beach all day :-D.

After leaving the Highlands we had a 6 hour bus and ferry journey to the island of Penang. To be honest this was our first taste of the islands and it was fair to say that we where both left a little disappointed. The island itself was used as a fort which the British Empire had attempted to colonise Malaysia. Now days it is very commercialised and not at all what we expected. Anyhow we had a look around a few temples and Clan houses and decided to leave for Langkawi the next morning. The good thing that came from Penang was bumping in to our friend Paul from England who was travelling on his own and became our new travelling buddy.

The next morning the three of us meet up and took the 4 hour ferry ride to Langkawi. This was our first taste of Paradise. We were lucky to get a beach hut for the three of us right on the beach with about a 20m walk down to the sea. Palm trees lined the beach and the sea was crystal. Needless to say the next week was spent on the beach,sunbathing all day and in the beach bars and clubs at night. We did go exploring and spent a day island hopping a few of the 99 islands that make up Langkawi. We got to feed sea eagles from our boat and also got to take a dip in a fresh water lake called the Pregnant Maiden Lake named after the shape of the mountains surrounding it. We also met up with a group of Malaysian lads who where on holiday which lead to some interesting drinking games and some drunken beach football. Enough can't be said about Malaysian hospitality they could not do enough to help you out, and they also know how to party.

After a week in Langkawi we decided it was time to move on and head to Thailand. Paul had already left the day before to head to Phi Phi Island though as we where booked in there for Christmas we decided to head to the province of Krabi as we had heard some good reports....




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb